Just the other day we took a look at Julieanne Kost's Fundamental Techniques, covering the basics of Adobe Photoshop CS2. While it covered many techniques for the average user who wanted to use Photoshop more efficiently, there were still many techniques not covered. In this DVD, Julieanne Kost picks up where the other DVD left off, and allows the continuing Photoshop Explorer to use a wide variety of advanced techniques which were only briefly mentioned or hinted at in the previous DVD. This particular DVD released by Software Cinema is sure to please the graphics palate for digital photographers, graphics designers, and web designers who want to expand their knowledge into more professional depths of interest. For those who might be interested in purchasing both DVDs, Software Cinema offers a Combo Set which includes both DVDs reviewed here on DigitalDingus, as well as a special bonus DVD of extras. Buying the combo set saves you about $70.
|Adobe Photoshop CS2 Advanced Techniques|
by Julieanne Kost
Tutorial Time: Over 12.8 Hours
MSRP: $159.00 | Click For Best Price
Putting In The Disc
Just like the other Photoshop CS2 DVD title, exploring Adobe Photoshop CS2 took only a few moments. The layout of the DVD retains its simplicity and there are no complicated menus. Simply click on the numbered sessions on the left of the tutorial and the learning begins. Adobe Photoshop CS2: Advanced Techniques contains 27 sessions, adding up to over 12.8 hours. The DVD is packed with knowledge--just like the companion Fundamental Techniques DVD.
What Is Covered
The following is an index of topics featured in Adobe PS CS2 Advanced Techniques:
- Session 01: Customizing the Workspace 35:10
- Session 02: File Management with Adobe Bridge 35:39
- Session 03: Color Management II 23:27
- Session 04: Camera RAW II 39:26
- Session 05: Advanced Color Correction 31:38
- Session 06: Selective Color Changes 26:25
- Session 07: Advanced Layers 38:21
- Session 08: Smart Objects 26:54
- Session 09: Advanced Compositing 35:58
- Session 10: Custom Color to Grayscale Conversions 28:18
- Session 11: Selective Coloring Effects 21:09
- Session 12: Photo Restoration 36:20
- Session 13: Portrait Retouching 50:26
- Session 14: Vanishing Point 14:25
- Session 15: The Eraser Tools 28:33
- Session 16: Extract 22:12
- Session 17: Creating Masks from Channels 15:15
- Session 18: The Pen Tool 34:18
- Session 19: Shape Layers and Vector Masks 27:20
- Session 20: Advanced Layer Styles 36:16
- Session 21: Advanced Typography 24:33
- Session 22: Protecting Your Images 22:57
- Session 23: Basic Actions 35:39
- Session 24: Complex Actions 37:04
- Session 25: Working with Variables 9:02
- Session 26: 16 and 32 Bits Per Channel Images 14:38
- Session 27: Tips and Shortcuts 19:33
Camera RAW II
Advanced Color Correction
Creating Masks from Channels
Protecting Your Images
Advanced Techniques For Demanding Users
In this advanced version of PS CS2 techniques, important subjects such as Camera RAW, color profiling, color correction, are revisited for more in-depth discussion and demonstration. Camera RAW II is especially an important session which deals with the Adjust, Detail, Lens, Curve, and Calibrate tabs within Camera RAW. Other little known features such as the Camera Raw Save Status window are also discussed. Expanding the RGB curve analysis and configuration are also presented.
Photo restoration is another great session to view and learn from. Many Photoshop users think photo restoration is simply using using the Clone Stamp tool and adjusting the contrast and brightness. However, this leaves out solutions for those images which are considered washed-out and have little detail. Julieanne Kost introduces layers and using the Curves option to greatly enhance and balance images which are improperly contrasted (common in many B&W photos taken around the earlier decades of the 1900's and late 1800's).
Protecting your images is certainly on every digital photographer's mind and Julieanne gives an informative discussion as well as helpful tips and tricks to make your images more secure when being used with Photoshop.
- Friendly layout
- Julieanne has a pleasant voice and does not rush any of the tutorial lessons so you can easily grasp the concept she is currently working on
- Advanced Layer Styles, Camera RAWII, and Advanced Composition are especially well-narrated by Julieanne
- Easy access to all DVD sessions within a single menu layout
- Graphic interface is professionally designed and elegant
- Fairly averaged amount of time for most sessions
- One of the better PS CS2 Advanced DVDs I've used
- The DVD might be considered a little on the expensive side, but the content is almost 13 hours, which averages out to about $12.20 an hour. Think you can hire a graphics pro who knows Photoshop inside and out for the same hourly wage? I didn't think so.
Software Cinema's PS CS2 Advanced Techniques opens new possibilities for editing your images and creating sophisticated designs. Of course, Julieanne Kost does another great job at demonstrating complicated techniques and due to the rather large amount of video on the DVD, I highly suggest setting aside at least half a day or better yet, a weekend day for engulfing yourself in Photoshop know-how.
- Appears to not play in modern "home multimedia" DVD players--only PC-based DVD players