External hard drives are becoming much more advanced and refined. I remember only a few years ago when external enclosures were quite basic, and simply provided an internal IDE slot to attach your hard drive to, and a low-speed USB cord. The external enclosure market has most certainly changed, and Vizo's Uranus 3.5" external enclosure is one of those which has been not only refined, but adds a few more features which users will come to appreciate.
VIZO & Western Digital
DigitalDingus has obtained an OEM version of Western Digital's most popular (and reliable) hard drive, the Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3. After personally using two of these hard drives without any problems, I decided to acquire a third for this review as I have had first-hand experience with Western Digital being reliable and stable.
Computer System & URA-350SA
I will be testing the URA-350SA with the following system specs:
I could add other hardware components for interest, but I doubt they would have anything to do with the data transfer rates when the URA-350SA is benchmarked on the following pages. The information provided above is to give an idea of what kind of system is being used which may or may not provide guidance in obtaining similar performance speeds with your own computer system.
- Iwill DN800-SLI motherboard
- (2) Kingston KVR400D2S4R3/1G ECC Registered ("buffered") 240-pin DDR2-400 (PC3200) 1.8V 1GB RAM
- (2) Xeon 3.6GHz 2MB Cache ("Irwindale") Processors (each overclocked to 4.07GHz)
VIZO Uranus URA-350SA Features
- Supports 3.5" SATA hard drives
- 480Mbps (USB2.0)
- Supports 3.0Gbps high speed external Serial-ATA (eSATA)
- Dual one-touch backup buttons for file and system (using USB2.0)
- One-touch backup for file
- One-touch backup for system
- USB to SATA HDD
- eSATA to SATA HDD
- Elegant and high-quality finish
- Aluminum housing for fast heat dissipation
- Built-in cooling fan
- Supports Plug and Play