- Simple and easy to assemble
- A truely portable lighting system
- Add more Ego lights to expand your lighting potential
- Shade/Diffuser is made of high-quality material
- Very high CRI index lamps
- Lamp socket housing is of high quality
- One Ego light produces a powerful 100-Watt output luminescent equivalency
- Instant-start lighting
- Flicker-free light output
- Limitless lighting possibilities
- Any photographer, whether a novice or professional, can use and benefit from the Lowel Ego
- Compact design, allowing for many placements which could otherwise be very difficult for standard lighting systems
- Can be disassembled rather quickly for even more portability
- Life of one flourescent lamp lasts approximately 8,000 - 10,000 hours
- One Year Warranty on flourescent lamps
- Optional Sweep Kit is very practical, inexpensive, and very versatile
- Affordable lighting
I can't tell you how excited I was about reviewing this lighting system. You don't need several booms looming around your shooting space. You don't need to be breaking out in heat sweats from the massively hot lights which are associated with professional lighting systems. You also don't need a deep wallet. One Ego light is $125, and I recommend purchasing a second lighting outfit for a truly dynamic lighting system. The Lowel Ego Sweep Kit is available for only another $25, which adds another creative aspect to your digital camera shooting style.
- Dimmable version, maybe 2ft high, with a higher output rating (for slightly larger subjects and objects)
After testing the Lowel Ego lights with just about anything I could get my hands on, I give the Lowel Ego Digital Imaging Lighting System, a
The Lowel Ego Digital Imaging Light is something any photographer should be adding to their equipment. Macro photography can now be controlled more precisely, and much easier, given you don't have to work around the lighting equipment. With the Lowel Ego, you simply plug it in to the wall outlet, situate the shade where you want it, turn on the light, and then begin framing your shot. It's as easy as that.
Another area where the Ego can really make a difference is for those who sell products online. In case you haven't noticed, most online auction sellers can't take images even if their life depended on it. How many times have you seen an auction seller's reflection in the product due to the camera flash being used. More times than not, it's certainly not flattering, and if anything, receives a chuckle from thousands of people who emailed the link to their friends, but no sale. Well, this can quickly change. If you're tired of taking images which have a "warm" look to them and have a "yellowish" cast, the Lowel Ego can instantly transform your online auctions to something being respected. I would gather most online auctions deal with items and products that can fit in your hand. The Ego easily covers this range.
After reading this review you may have looked up the availability of such lights at your local hardware store, and even entertained the idea of making one yourself. It is true, you can now find full-spectrum lamps and lights at places such as Home Depot, Lowes, and many other stores. However, please be aware while you can obtain similar lights, creating a lighting system which has been designed by a company that has been in the business of designing lighting accessories since 1959, and has won several awards with their involvement with film, video, and still photography knowledge, is practically impossible to accomplish at the very affordable price of the Ego line. Lowel knows lighting. Take advantage of their knowledge.