TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of a fast telephoto lens with Vibration Reduction developed for use with both Nikon digital and film SLR cameras - the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED.
An important addition to the acclaimed range of ED lenses, the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED is crafted from Super ED glass, which is significantly more resilient than fluorite and offers class-above optical qualities. It also achieves exceptional expressive power through the incorporation of fast f/2.0 capability which effectively allows subjects to be given more emphasis by throwing background elements out of focus - enabling effective portraits free from distracting elements and the adding of impact to smaller parts in expansive scenes.
For the ultimate in focusing convenience, a switch located on the bottom of the lens gives swift access to the AF-L function, which allows a desired focus position to be easily preset. The same switch can also be used to access the AF-ON function too, which enables the photographer to achieve more subjective focus with fine manual manipulation. It also activates the handy function that allows the lens to revert back to the preset focus position whenever desired.
The fast lens of the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED can also be combined with the additional benefit of VR (Vibration Reduction) - an innovation that makes it possible to take quality handheld shots indoors and in dark locations with a reduction in blur equivalent to when shooting at a setting three stops faster. VR performance is further augmented by a VR selection switch, which enables the photographer to choose between two different VR modes to best suit the subject at hand - Normal mode is ideal for most common shooting conditions, panning, and use in combination with a tripod. Active mode, as its name suggests, is better suited to conditions involving more movement, such as when the photographer is shooting from a moving vehicle, for example.
When used with Nikon D-SLR cameras, the focal length of the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED increases by a factor of 1.5. Similarly, picture angle also depends on whether the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED is used with a 35mm film camera or a Nikon D-SLR. When used with a 35mm film camera, the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED offers an angle of view of 12º 2'. When used with a Nikon D-SLR, the lens offers an angle of view of 8º.
The AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED can also be used in combination with the TC-14EII teleconverter, the new TC-17EII teleconverter and the TC-20EII teleconverter too, which increase focal lengths by a factor of 1.4x, 1.7x and 2.0x respectively. The use of such teleconverters is an ideal way of adding further versatility without the expense and weight of additional lenses. Indeed, just by carrying the AF-S VR Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED and the aforementioned three teleconverters, photographers can gain access to a range of focal lengths that would normally be only possible with four different lenses.
- Super ED lens elements for a lower refractive index and reduced dispersion
- VR function
- Offers choice of Normal mode or Active mode, with three steps of adjustment for each to suit shooting circumstances
- Remains effective even when used with a tripod
- SWM (Silent Wave Motor) provides exceptionally quiet high-speed autofocusing
- M/A switch on the side of the lens speeds switching from manual to automatic modes
- AF switch located on lens enables easy selection of settings:
- AF-L allows a desired focus position to be preset at will
- AF-ON allows fine manual manipulation
- Preset Return reverts the lens to the preset focus position
- Meniscus protective lens
- Supports focusing from as close as 1.9m
- Adoption of Eco-Glass
- Focal length: 200mm
- Maximum aperture: f/2.0
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Lens construction: 13 elements in 9 groups (3x ED glass lens elements, 1x Super ED glass element), 1x meniscus protective glass lens
- Picture angle: 12º 20' (Nikon DX Format: 8º)
- Minimum focus range: 1.9m (74.8 in./ 6.2 ft.)
- Max. reproduction ratio: 1/8.1 (0.12)
- Attachment size: 52mm
- Dimensions: approx. 124 x 203mm (4.9 x 8.0 in.)
- Weight: approx. 2.9kg (6.4 lb.)
- Included accessories: Attachment-type filter holder (with 52mm NC), Front cap (non-interchangeable), Rear Cap (LF-1), Strap (LN-1), Hood (HK-31), Semi soft case (CL-L1) Optional accessories Attachment-type polarized filter (C-PL3L), Teleconverter TC-14E II, TC-17E II, TC-20E II