Fuji S3

S1 ยท S2, and the recently announced S3

Fuji S3

Postby JoePhoto » Jan Fri 23, 2004 12:28 am

I'm very interested in this camera. It may be a D2x killer, provided they can get it into a good body. I'm thinking that Fuji wants a solid pro camera on the market. They are already slaying Kodak both using the N80 body. The rumored rez of the S3 is 12MP with Supoer CCD interpolation up to 24MP. This holds true in Fuji fashion considering all of their camera updates double in resolution. If they could sneak this into a Nikon F100 or similar body, watch out! It will be killer and in my bag for sure. There is allot of good new Fuji Studio software incoming also. Apparently this new software will work similar to Nikon Capture, but can generate Frontier RAW files for complete control of printing on a Fuji Frontier! I have spoken to a guy from Fuji and trying to get info and he's dancing around what he can and can't talk about. He's going to try and get me a trial version of the software. He's been trying to get me into a Fuji body for a while... and he may do so soon.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JB » Jan Fri 23, 2004 6:03 pm

Yeah, I think a 12MP Full-Frame body is very likely. It will also be a good time for Nikon to monitor sales of the S3, if indeed it is FF, and see how many Nikon users get it. I've said this before and I'll say it again. The D3x is going to be Full-Frame. Nikon is split on what to do regarding Full-Frame and APS sensors. We already got wind of this when one of their top employees leaked his thoughts on the matter. I think it's also the reason, or part of it, that the D2x was delayed.

We are getting to the point now, where even Nikon's entry-level camera is stellar. Just imagine what the case will be 5 or 6 years from now.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Watchin » Apr Fri 09, 2004 8:53 am

From What I've read the S3 will be APS (same as S2) sized, with 1.5 FOV factor.
and it's still interpolated 12mp (which means 6.2mp in real life), but it is a Super CCD..

Joe - did you ever get your hands on a demo?

oWo
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby JB » Apr Fri 09, 2004 3:26 pm

I'm really interested in how the new SR sensor performs on the S3. If it's any better than the S2 (which already a great image producer), Fuji will do well.
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Apr Fri 09, 2004 6:45 pm

Nope - according to Fuji, the S3 is actually not speced at all contrary to what their PDS brochure says. They basically put out S2 specs and a new body. The S3 specs could, and probably will, change by the time of the anouncement of release.

The only demo is actually just the body shell, which although is still built on the N80 chasis, looks like a MUCh better build, with nice ergonomics.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Fuji - use iTTL!!!!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Watchin » Apr Mon 12, 2004 4:48 pm

Yeah I suppose iTTL would be nice. Have you seen any write up that details the difference between it
and the current TTL - matrix ?

My wishes are simple:
a) mirror lockup (it's in there but only for CCD cleaning)
b) better battery meter (current one is either "all okay" or "Dead" , warning is about 30 seconds)
c) exposure count in view finder (I'm really sick of "hit shutter button, oh didn't work ...WHY???" then
go look at every display for a problem sign, oh card full, oh battery dead , oh flash off, or if all else fails
no focus so try readjust and refocus and try again...
doesn't happen often but when it does it really s....!)
d) allow shutter priority and/or app priority manual metering with manual lens, all the stuff is in there it's just software.
e) autoswitch over in media, hey guys it's got two slots and if I pull one it switches to the other, it knows when one is full so just make it switch to the other if there, it can reset on next on cycle (it turns off automatically when the door is opened anyway) when they are all full THEN stop working.
f) some kind of static degauss to shake the dust on the ccd ... that might be tricky !

and a true 12 mp would be great...

not much, mostly just software tweeks, otherwise I love this camera !

oWo
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby JB » Apr Mon 12, 2004 5:01 pm

Hey Joe,

Fuji said they were going to use their 6MP SR sensor. Are they doing something different now? This would be a good idea, since 6MP is just not enough to stay with the competition.
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Apr Mon 12, 2004 8:17 pm

Yeah I suppose iTTL would be nice. Have you seen any write up that details the difference between it
and the current TTL - matrix ?

The TTL that the S3 is planning on using is Nikon's now extinct D-TTL. Fuji and Kodak had very good flash metering being able to somehow use the sensor in the flash metering as the Nikon film SLR's do.

Nikon tried to be tricky, and made D-TTL a digital only feature that was compatable with DX only flashes (SB28DX, SB50DX, SB80DX, and the new SB800 - which is both DX and iTTL.) It used a quick preflash to meter, but didn't work consistantly well. Those that used it, learned it and were fine, but on days when you would least expect it - you had a headache fussing with your flash.

iTTL is apart of Nikon's new "Creative Lighting System." It was first implimented with the SB800 and D2h. And now in the D70, and upcoming SB600 (which is not backwards compatable with D-TTL like the SB800.) iTTL is a Godsend. Nikon really took back it's lead in flash technology with this. The flash metering is still based off a preflash, but they nailed it. The plus is that iTTL also TTL meters wirelessly with remote flashes. No more do I worry about blowing a wedding dress to do a flash exposure for the skin tones!

I own a D1x, D1h, D100, and D2h. The new iTTL on the D2h takes the cake - hands down. I've used the D70 with my SB800 and seen the same great iTTL results. If Fuji is dumb enough to add D-TTL to their lineup, they are investing in a system that Nikon has discontinued in favor of a better one. This will make flashes hard to come by outside of the SB800.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Return to Fuji