WOW!!!

MicroDrives, Batteries, CF, SD, SM, xD, Portable HDD devices, etc....

WOW!!!

Postby Vance » Aug Sat 28, 2004 5:52 pm

Was just on the PHOTO Graphic website and read this snippet of information.

New High Capacity Memory Card
By Ron Eggers

August 24, 2004 ? The Industrial Technology Research Institute (ITRI) of Taiwan is expected to introduce μcard memory cards in October at the Taipei International Electronics Show. The new cards are projected to have transfer rates of 120 MB of data a second, or roughly 10 times faster than the speed of the current crop of Secure Digital (SD) cards, seven times faster than today's CompactFlash memory options.

They're expected to be available in sizes up to 2 terabytes, while taking up less space than CompactFlash cards. Two terabytes of storage capacity is enough room to store more than one half million JPEG images from today's eight megapixel digital cameras.

The new cards will include USB 2.0 compatibility and an interface that's compatible with existing memory cards. They're expected to consume less power than similar devices. μcard memory cards have been designed to operate in digital cameras as well as MP3 players, computers and digital video recorders.

Members of the Open Mobile Internet Alliance are currently defining the specifications of the new μcards, which are expected to go into mass production in early 2005.

2 Terabytes !!!! Holy Crap-on-a-stick!!! :bow

Better start the paperwork for the loan it's probably gonna take to afford one though.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Aug Sat 28, 2004 6:02 pm

To big for me. Dont keep all my eggs in one basket. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Vance » Aug Sat 28, 2004 6:15 pm

You ain't kidding.

I'd be a nervous wreck until I got all that info uploaded to the computer. :D

Still, this is definately gonna make the smaller capacity cards a hell of a lot more affordable now.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby drgonzo » Aug Sun 29, 2004 2:13 am

Then again, is there such a thing as a 1 terabyte consumer hard drive, let alone 2?
drgonzo
Participating Member

Postby Vance » Aug Sun 29, 2004 8:45 am

According to the article, there will be. ;)

I'd have to think though, that this will be more of a Big Studio item. You know, those guys that have 3 or 4 Phase One systems laying about. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Return to Storage & Power