Sigma wide to tele

Discuss all brands of lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

Sigma wide to tele

Postby Talvan » Jul Wed 28, 2004 9:05 pm

I have been doing some searching, and have read very few bad things about the Sigma 18-125 and 24-135. Anybody here have any experience with either lens?
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Thu 29, 2004 2:40 pm

I have been less than impressed with just about every Sigma lens in this range. The ONLY Sigma glass I'd recommend the 15mm fisheye, the 70-200 APO, 50-500 HSM, and any of their big primes 300mm and over... that's it! The rest IMO, just does not deliver sharp images at their widest f-stops. I also feel pretty much the same way about Tamron... there are very few lenses I would use and most of them are primes. Please keep in mind that I have created very high standards for what I think is acceptable, so I would recommend that you try one out for yourself and see what you think. That's what is important. Make sure whereever you buy, you have a good return policy, so you can try the lens out at your leisure, instead of at the camera store.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Talvan » Jul Fri 30, 2004 6:17 am

well, considering all I have been using is the 35-140 2.0/2.4 on the E-10 for the past 3 years, would you say that that lens would have created myself to have the same standard as well? And if so, then I shoudl probabley stick with the first party expensive glass then eh?
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby mattchase » Jul Fri 30, 2004 7:54 am

I always try to stick with the same brand accessories for my major purchases. I am willing to give 3rd party lenses a chance, and as Joe said, there are a few that pass with flying colors (like the Sigma 70-200 2.8), but for the most part I would still spend the extra money on Canon or Nikon lenses and feel confident in getting something good.

I have found similar results to what Joe pointed out, that the higher end, longer range prime lenses from 3rd party companies are good. But now we are talking about $2000-$5000 lenses, and fixed at one focal length, so they better be good! It's their shorter focal length zoom lenses that always seem to come up short. Not sure what the deal is, but I have tried many different brand zooms from 17-35 - 28-80 - 28-105 - 70-200 ranges, from Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina, and with the exception of the Sigma 70-200, I didn't like any of them for one reason or another. Note that the same can be said for the lower end Canon zooms too, but even then there are still some gems, like the 28-135 IS (not the sharpest tool, but for the price and range, I would own one).
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Talvan » Jul Fri 30, 2004 8:19 am

thnx for you input guys.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Fri 30, 2004 9:34 am

John,

The Oly 35-140mm f/2.0-2.4 ED on the E-10 is a mixed bag. It is very good at rendering fine, sharp detail thanks to the ED element, but that lens does not resist CA very well at all. I think it's partially because there is only a single ED element.

In short considering both length and usability, it's on par with the mid range Nikon and Canon zooms. I would recommend that you look at the Nikkor 24-120mm AFS VR, or as Matt suggested, the Canon 28-135mm USM IS. They are about equal in sharpness to what you are using and I know from having used the Nikkor that it will resist CA better than the Oly lens.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Talvan » Jul Fri 30, 2004 9:57 am

Those two will definatley be the first lenses that I look at when deciding on a system. Thnx again for all your help guys.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Return to Lenses