Windows XP SP2

Discuss any software (non-Adobe)...

Windows XP SP2

Postby JB » Jun Fri 04, 2004 3:31 am

Windows XP SP2 should be coming soon. It's a HUGE SP update--230MB. After the Sasser variants and all the chaos it caused--not to mention Windows 2000 code being released on the net, this new Service Pack will allegedly prevent executables from being launched in areas where Windows has been vulnerable in the past.

The following link is where you can find more info about the release.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... predl.mspx

You can download a Technical Preview, which is 230MB, but it is not guaranteed to work. I think June 23 is when the expected official release is going to be available.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Talvan » Jun Fri 04, 2004 4:48 am

I think I will waite till a few days after the release to try and download, just so it wont take forever. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JB » Jun Fri 04, 2004 2:46 pm

Woooahhh. The size of the preview just increased to 273MB! They must have just updated it. They are now saying mid-June-ish for the RC2 candidate (which is basically the finished version).
JB

Postby JB » Jun Fri 04, 2004 5:12 pm

Well, SP2 is installed. It's actually kind of nice. I'm not sure why it took 273MB, but anyway, if there is anything which attempts to connect to your computer, you are noticed by a pop-up screen, and you either decline or accept. I suppose this is like many other firewall programs out there, but it's nice that Windows XP has it built-in. I really get tired of installing several programs which only do a few things.

There are two new icons in your Control Panel. Windows Firewall and Security Center.
JB

Postby Talvan » Jun Fri 04, 2004 5:43 pm

cool, I will have to let you know about the XP Home version when I get SP2 installed.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby Watchin » Jun Sat 05, 2004 7:47 am

I'd wait guys and gals.... Microsoft is noted for botching something in service packs, and this is hugh...
I usually follow the rules
1) never install V1.0 until the first service pack (see rule 2)
2) never install a service pack until it's been RELEASED for a month, or an update comes out for it (see rule 3)
3) never install a service pack update until it's been reviewed in the trade press TWICE... or an update...(go to rule 2)
4) if you get to here - install the updated, released, fixed, Service Pack and V1.0 software. Don't ever
ignore an SP altogether.... it's a big contradiction in attitude I know, but then I'm paranoid ;{)

As for the firewall - you can do that today for free, it's called ZoneAlarm (the PRO version costs but the
basic is free) I've been using it for 5 years and never had a problem.

3 pieces of software every PC should have up and running:
a) firewall [I like ZoneAlarm]
b) anti-virus [ I like Norton AV ]
c) spy-bot eliminator (I don't run this continous, just once a month or so to clean house)
[ the only one I recommend is SpyBot Search and Destroy, but be careful there are spoof sites
that trap you into a leech package the real URL is SpyBot S&D site
]

Just my 2-cents....
Greg
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Talvan » Jun Sat 05, 2004 9:06 am

I had been using Spy Sweeper, what do you think about that one? or have you used it? Thnx for the real link also. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby Kronos » Jun Sat 05, 2004 7:30 pm

I absolutely HATE Spy Sweeper and we are FORCED to try and sell it at work. I much prefer Lavasoft Adaware and SpyBot Search & Destroy. I've seen SpySweeper screw up the Google toolbar in IE, it takes 3-4 times as long to scan your hard drive, and as with all Spyware-hunting software it will never find everything. (the reason I actually run Ad-Aware AND Spybot S&D).

I'm basing all this purely on personal experience with each of the programs, I'm sure there's been people with good experiences with SpySweeper, and I'm sure there's been bad experiences with the other two programs.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby Watchin » Jun Sat 05, 2004 7:52 pm

I used Spy Sweeper once, it screwed things up to a fair-thee-well and I never looked at it again.
Did try Ad-Aware but couldn't see any advantage of useing it over/with S&D, so stopped... no problems
with it, it's just that I've got so much junk on this machine I filled the 10gb system disk full (even after moving the swap file).

BTW - one of the things I didn't mention above about the firewall stuff. Make sure that it is a bi-directional
firewall , VERY IMPORTANT.
The "new" one they released with SP2 for XP is bi-directional, the original one wasn't (if I remember right).
ZoneAlarm is but BlackIce isn't (or wasn't when I stopped useing it ... don't know now, come to think of it ).

The bi-directional part is important as it will tell you when something has sneaked into your machine and
is trying to create a private port connect out , so you can STOP it. Unfortunately if it's a virus in Outlook
it can still get around it (it spoofs an allowed connection) SOMETIMES...

YMMV... hope this helps,
Greg
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Kronos » Jun Sat 05, 2004 8:32 pm

You're correct Greg, the built in firewall in Windows only stops incoming traffic. If you're already infected with something or actively download something it will NOT stop outgoing traffic. And Greg, technically you could argue that Microsoft has been known to botch a final product such as an OS too. heh heh. :) Remember Win ME anyone, LOL. :)
Kronos
Valued Member

Next

Return to Software