More wedding shots

Post your photos here if you want more elaborate comments, critiques, suggestions.

More wedding shots

Postby Kronos » Apr Tue 27, 2004 8:36 pm

I used the "Smart Blur" tool on shots 1 & 5. The rest have various crops and other enhancements.

Edit: Critique away! I want to be the best that I can be, so any and all tips, suggestions, complaints, nits, peeves, etc will be appreciated.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby marokero » Apr Tue 27, 2004 10:49 pm

Hey Mark, here it goes then. The second one is just fine, solid. But the remaining imo have a bit too much headroom, perhaps the fourth and last one aren't as bad. As a friend of mine told me, if you can, show more of the body and less air above the head because it doesn't add much to the composition. Perhaps if yu had half as much headroom in the shots they'd be dead on. I realize on the fourth photo the 3:2 format won't allow for less headroom, but perhaps if you had the bride stand straight on the first step and hug her father, you'd be all set :) I learned a lot from my photog friend's photos. I thought about your post at work while I was reviewing photos from a new potographer we are thinking of hiring, and I remembered how I used to shoot, and more importantly how much I used to shoot. I remember coming back from weddings with over 400 shots everytime, and my boss helped me in selecting which ones to keep, which to throw away. I had to trim down from 400+ to about 120-150. Nowadays I hardly shoot over 300 anymore, and usually keep 200 or so. See what other event you can shoot, as many have said, discss with that photog about joining him for another wedding. Practice and experience makes perfect ;)
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby Frank B » Apr Wed 28, 2004 7:19 am

Like the pictures, especially the last one. I know nothing about wedding photography, but agree that less headroom is better.
Frank B

<a href=http://www.pbase.com/frank_b>MY Photos</a>
Frank B
DD Patriot

Postby Watchin » Apr Wed 28, 2004 9:28 am

Better... Suggestion take cropping you did on 1 and apply it to 3 (gee wonder why he said that ;{)

When shooting full lengths center on 3 button down on men , middle of bust line on women, that will
solve the sky shot syndrom (common problem by the way, took me a couple of months to have my
mentor stop knawing on me about it ....;{) If you look at the last shot and move her up to center
like I said you'll see what I mean.

I assume the "Pro" was the one doing the set up for the formals. Next time stand behind him
with a little longer lens and shoot over his shoulder. For the formals take the flash off camera and up
about a foot to push the shadows down, usually halls are too high ceilinged to bounce .
TRICK - always carry a CLEAN ;{o white cotton handkerchef, if you are withing 7 feet of the subject
throw it over the flash, add a stop and raise it up
(poof - instant softbox).

The candid with dad is great , try close cropping to a waist high portrat on him see how it looks...try the
blur tool on the background as well.

your capturing the expressions and emotion well... keep it up.
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Kronos » Apr Wed 28, 2004 4:29 pm

My problem is there isn't much resolution to work with. These are shots from the Walgreens Photo CD. While it is WAAAAY better than the Kodak pictureCD, it's still only ~ 2-3mp. I might be able to get in tight and produce some 4x6's or 3x5's if I crop that tight, but I guess it's better than nothing. :)

These are great tips, btw, thanks!!
Kronos
Valued Member

Return to Photo X: Critique