Hi thought I'd drop in ...

Not necessarily photography...

Hi thought I'd drop in ...

Postby Watchin » Oct Tue 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Hi Guys,
I've been gone for a while, didn't realize how long it's been. I thought it was time to refresh some old friendships and bring you up to date (as if you cared :D ) So regard this as the letter in the xmas card... :blah

I've been off on an IT contract for a while, which is why I dropped out of sight, working 60 - 80 hours a week kind of kept the photography to a minimum. Well that's over now, I got resessioned. As of next Jan I'm officially a "retired person", so I'm looking forward to spending more time with the camera again. Until then I guess I'm back in the gainfully underemployed group again.

We bought a snow-bird landing spot in north central Florida this spring. I'm look forward to a new shooting range come winter (can't leave til after Christmas or the grankids would hang me). If anyone is interested I can give a run down on what's up down there, real estate wise. Basically, we've been putting money aside for a retirement place for years and with the prices the way they are now; well .. we couldn't pass it up. If you have ever thought about it... stop thinking go looking... It's that much of a buyers market.

I've recharged and cleaned all the camera gear so I'm hoping to have some good shots for this fall and winter. Oh yeah, I upgraded to the D700, so the Nikon gear is still in the house; it's amazing what you can talk the wife into when you're making money :cheese

I've decided to get out of the studio stuff altogether, so the Alien-Bees, umbrellas, softboxes, brollybox, light stands, background stands, and that stuff will be going up for sale sometime this fall. Let me know if anyone is interested.

I missed this motley crew... drop me a line, I'll be back in the forums (be warned) :psy
I've got to at least come by and ohhh/awwh at the posted work.
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Re: Hi thought I'd drop in ...

Postby TonyK » Oct Tue 13, 2009 6:32 pm

Good to see a friendly face. Wondering what happened to you.

Retirement? I did not think you were that old. Congratulations and enjoy.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Oct Tue 13, 2009 6:57 pm

D700? Nice! Welcome back to the forum, Greg. I've been wondering what you've been up to as well.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Watchin » Oct Wed 14, 2009 7:53 am

Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Tony! Yeah I hit 62 next Jan, so I'll file for SS, doing the snow bird thing makes it hard to get a full time job normally and today it's like "fogettaboutit". So I'll work 6 months up here part-time and 6 months in the sun part-time while doing my own thing in between. I've turned into a gipsy photographer I guess :clown

JB - D700 is sweet! Started with the Fuji S2. That was good for it's time and the kind of work I was doing. Then switched to D200 cause I thought it was going to be just personal stuff, not so good a move. Now I'm back with the D700 and happy as a clam. Well almost, I still lust after equipment but isn't that part of the gendre?

What you guys up to these days?
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby mattchase » Oct Wed 14, 2009 9:41 am

Hey!

I never would have thought you were so old either! ;)

Congrats on the new camera, I haven't done much photography lately but am still using my good ol' 5D.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JoePhoto » Oct Mon 19, 2009 5:04 pm

Sweet - nice to see you back around. I did the Nikon to Canon to Nikon flip flop recently. As of around this time last year, I came back to Nikon with a few D700's and have never been happier. I can't wait for the D700S, because I'm currently lusting after the D3S but can't afford one let alone two for my needs!

I look forward to seeing some images from you. In honor of you're return, I'll web-a-size a few recent photos and post them in PhotoX so you guys can make fun of me like old times. I need to get about posting some photos anyway.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Return to OT