Happy New Year - New Forum Style Possibility

Come here to discuss the workings, problems, and features of the board...

Happy New Year - New Forum Style Possibility

Postby JB » Dec Wed 31, 2008 10:51 pm

Well, I decided to dedicate some more time to the forums. I like this style, as it reflects the main website a little more than what we did have. This is a little easier on the eyes for us night folk. At least I think. Possibly the white text when you type a post could be irritating, so we can look at a color change, and of course, there are buttons and icons which will change--I'm not sold on the smilie faces for identifying new posts and such as it's confusing.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Re: Happy New Year - New Forum Style Possibility

Postby mattchase » Dec Wed 31, 2008 11:49 pm

Yeah!! Green is back baby!!

Happy New Year. :bd
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Jan Sun 04, 2009 12:41 pm

It threw me at first. Had to make sure I clicked the correct link. Yup, DigitalDingus forums.

Speaking of PHP, I've been learning it with MySQL and AJAX to help a friend out. Project is moving right along. Have to create 4 or 5 more tables and then import data in to 8 tables.

Also re-started my writing. Ten years ago I had a column in Visual Developer Magazine titled NetResults. When the magazine terminated the column after a year they let me keep the rights to the column name. That means there is a URL called http://netresults.abckyle.com. Its mostly going to be about programming websites and other related topics.

Still have my LiveJournal blog that is for personal stuff. Unfortunately neither give me a space to write what it is like to live with an un-medicated bipolar individual. This past month has been hard, harder than most. We won't discuss the year.

Typing with a cat straddling my hands, trying to conquer my computer desk is also interesting.

Take care everyone.

JB wrote:Well, I decided to dedicate some more time to the forums. I like this style, as it reflects the main website a little more than what we did have. This is a little easier on the eyes for us night folk. At least I think. Possibly the white text when you type a post could be irritating, so we can look at a color change, and of course, there are buttons and icons which will change--I'm not sold on the smilie faces for identifying new posts and such as it's confusing.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JoePhoto » Jan Sun 04, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey - looks good. There are a few things that will take some getting used to. I do have a request - when will we get the quick reply box back? :hs
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JB » Jan Sun 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Tony,

Looking forward to your writing. I've been looking for a simple database (using PHP and MySQL) which can be used for the DD website to store information on cameras and other electronics for easier reference and comparison.

Joe,

The Quick Reply feature will be on its way.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby TonyK » Jan Sun 04, 2009 3:55 pm

Most sites support PHP and MySQL. I have MySQL In A Nutshell and PHP and MySQL Web Development books. If you need more information please ask. Also drop me a line at my email address because some days, weeks, months I just don't get by. Sorry.

I've used MySQL before but nothing significant. Loaded it up by hand and left it alone. With this project I am bulking loading data and this will continue indefinitely as it will be easier for me to do this than to train her long distance. :)

phpMyAdmin is a very good tool to use. Its free and most hosting sites have it available.

Still looking for a good PHP editor that does not break the bank. That will probably make an entry soon. So far there is Eclipse with plug-ins, JEdit (if you are on a Mac) and NetBeans from Sun (also with plug-ins). Eclipise and NetBeans promise debugging capability for PHP when the files are in a project structure. Free standing files can't be debugged. I'm spoiled. I want my debuggers! LOL :D

Thanks and take care,

JB wrote:Tony,

Looking forward to your writing. I've been looking for a simple database (using PHP and MySQL) which can be used for the DD website to store information on cameras and other electronics for easier reference and comparison.

Joe,

The Quick Reply feature will be on its way.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby WARP » Jan Mon 05, 2009 5:26 pm

HMMMMM!!! :hs JB, I have not been able to get the Dingus (Forum) to work on my notebook or at work for days but finally tried my main desktop and it's woorking ok on it. Not sure what changes you made but at least a couple of pcs I use can't handle it. What happens basically is it comes up with everything pushed over to the left side with only a portion (about 1/4 ) of the page showing. Moving the cursor over it it shifts to the right side. No selections can be made. There could be others out there having the same problem.
Regards: Will

EDIT: JB, If I logout The samething happens on my desktop also. I was able to with some effort get back logged on but it seems to be a problem that happens (at least for me when your not logged on as a member. I will try to pm this info to you just in case you miss it here in the thread.
WARP
Contributor

Postby mattchase » Jan Tue 06, 2009 1:16 am

Will, I just started having this problem today as well. Are you using Norton Security Suite? I just installed that today after having used McAfee and wonder if there is an issue with it's browser integration and some sites.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby WARP » Jan Tue 06, 2009 10:13 am

Matt
It's happening on several pc's and I'm not sure any of them have Norton. I'm at work now and they have McAfee. The thing that relates them all is if your logged in as a member or not. When I'm logged on I'm OK.

Will
WARP
Contributor

Postby mattchase » Jan Tue 06, 2009 4:08 pm

I noticed this too, if I log out everything is shifted to the left (half being off screen), and if I click to login it actually jumps the page over to the center as it should be, but doesn't click the login button.

When logged in everything works fine.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Next

Return to DD Forum Discussion