I guess this is as good a place as any.

Talk about anything related to photography...

I guess this is as good a place as any.

Postby Talvan » Jul Mon 30, 2007 6:26 pm

I really didnt know where to post this as it covers a few different things and could have been in a few different forums. :hs

First off I would like for us all to reminisce a little bit and remember how this place know as the dingus den became our home. What common bond did we have? (besides the love of photography) That is right, most everyone here should be thinking about their trusty tank like Olympus E-10. A whopping 4mp 3.5 frame a second with a 4 frame buffer that took 45 seconds to clear, useless RAW ORF files, 35-140mm 2.0-2.4 lens, 1/640 max shutter speed, 1/640th flash sync speed, split prism viewfinder, battery sucking E-10. Today I finally bid you good buy my old friend along with ALL your accessories like the LiPo grip, FL-40 flash, T-Con 14b, and numerous other little widgets. I had debated it for some time and finally got up the nads to send it off to KEH. :cry

At the end of last week I accepted their meager offer and used those funds to purchase a new tool that after taking 10 pictures with I feel is the beginning of a beautiful relationship, until I can afford it's bigger brother. I am the immensely happy new owner of a Nikon 85mm f/ 1.8. This is by far the sharpest lens I have ever used, with awesome bokeh, and quit frankly I dont know how I ever took a decent portrait without this lens. LOL This was the last shot I took with it today.

Original resized for web.

100% crop no other PS work.

So, with that I bid my old friend the E-10 good-bye, and welcome my new friend. It really was a hard decision guys, but it is one I am glad I made now.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Tue 31, 2007 11:41 am

Congrats John! Sad to see the old E-10 go, but in it's place is a much larger world.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Vance » Jul Tue 31, 2007 12:50 pm

How funny, and weird timing. I had taken my E10 out just last night
and was playing around with it. All those fond memories were put
to the test after having had my 30D now.

So...

other than myself, who else still has their E10 ?
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Tue 31, 2007 1:54 pm

I sold mine a long while ago. I remember gawking at the detail that thing produced... then I bought a D1x which combined with a much larger sensor, blew me away to the point of no return and away she went to fund a D100 which is now my trusty IR camera.

I don't necessarily miss the E-10's images, but I miss using the camera itself and learning digital with it and everything else that defined that particular time in my life. It was all intertwined.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Tue 31, 2007 6:08 pm

Ah, The OLE E-10. Fond memories. Once I had gone to a Canon DSLR though, there was no turning back. I picked my old one that I had given to a friend up a while back, and shot a couple frames, then realized just how fast it wasn't. ;-)
CONGRATS on the new prime glass John. I have it's Canon equivalent, and "Love" it. :D
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby Talvan » Aug Wed 01, 2007 12:21 pm

I am already loving the lens Bruce, Joe, I know what you mean about that being a part of that time of your life. That is kind of what I missed too. I dont miss the camera much, just the memories. LOL
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby Fleet177 » Aug Wed 01, 2007 9:17 pm

I still have my old friend the E-10. I have close-up filters for it and just don't want to buy any more right now... soooo, should the desire come up to take some super closeup shots, I still have my trusty side-kick. Well, I still have my AE-1 and T-70 Canon film cameras and, of course my E10, 10D and now my 30D. I have a hard time parting with things... can you tell??? :D

Cindy :peace
Fleet177

Postby mattchase » Aug Wed 01, 2007 10:54 pm

I parted with my e-10 long long ago...i'm trying to remember what I did with it. I'm sure I sold it, I think on ebay, but am not sure.

I was pretty happy with what it could do, at the time the res and quality were very good and even compared to modern cameras it still has a great build and feel to it. But what it didn't do is what got to me, and once the d60 came out everyone I worked with was buying canon so I followed suit.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Talvan » Aug Fri 03, 2007 8:34 am

yea, I just hung on to it so long because I needed a "back up", then I finally decided I would rather spend the money on glass instead since if ever did have to actually use it as a back up I would probabley shot myself. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby TonyK » Aug Sun 05, 2007 5:56 am

My 10D was replaced shortly after acquiring the used Canon D30. It went out in parts mostly as I had everything but the flash and extra long telephoto.

And John's comments about useless ORF is right on the money. Or trying to push the sensor to do low light photography, which would result in nearly unusable images. The exposure had to be nearly perfect, at least in my experience.

Yet I loved the fact I could use the thing like a TLR and that it was so very quiet. If it weren't for the E-10 I probably would not have gotten back in to photography. So whatever faults it had, it pulled me back in and allowed me an outlet besides watching TV. :D

John, good luck with the new lens. I'm sure it will get a good workout.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Next

Return to General Photography