Help me decide....

Not necessarily photography...

Help me decide....

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Thu 05, 2007 11:41 pm

Some people buy sportscars... I've always wanted a Harley.

My brother just bought one and I'm now insanely craving the need for a steel horse. We're going to look (just look) this Sunday. I'm not going crazy expensive - I'm planning on getting a 1200 Sportster (the second cheapest model) but I'm stuck deciding between two trim levels. There is pretty much no price difference at this point, just preference. The Custom is chromy and the Nighster is well, almost all black. I'm leaning to the Custom at the moment.

The 1200 Custom

The 1200 Nightster

:bf
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Talvan » Jul Fri 06, 2007 6:23 am

Couple questions for you first.

Have you ever ridden bikes before?

The bars on the custom are a little higher than on the nightster, do you like that?

Custom has a double seat so someone can ride bitch, hehehe, you know where this is going.

The best advice I can give you is go to the dealer, SIT on the bikes with your feet on the pedals, and make sure you like that position, because you will be in it for awhile.

If you havent riden before, I highley recommend you buy used. It's not a matter of if you will lay it down, its a matter of when. I would mutch rather lay down a used bike the first time over a stupid mistake than a new one.

Ok, with all that said, I personally prefer full dress touring bikes like electraglides. No bugs in the teeth. :D My Other personal choice would be this Night Train, everybody has chrome.

:D

Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby mattchase » Jul Fri 06, 2007 7:42 am

That's a tough choice, the chrome model is a bit flashier and prettier, but I am more drawn to the black one because as John said, everybody has chrome.

The one problem I see with the black one is the same as John mentioned, that being no passenger room. If you never plan on having another person on it, no big deal, but if you do...
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Fri 06, 2007 8:47 am

Joe, Take John's suggestions to heart, he brought up a lot of good points. (John, I didn't know you were a rider?)
I rode bikes for a lot of years, starting with the venerable old Triumph Bonneville, then moved to Rice Rockets because I liked to go really fast. Not sure how I survived all that. :clown
A couple questions;
How much riding experience do you have?
What style riding do you want to do? Boulevard cruising on Saturday nights?
Serious touring? (If that were the case, both of these choices are wrong.)
To back up what John said about buying used first, there is a saying well known amongst hardcore bikers that reads;
There are only two kind of bikers. Those that have been down, and those thare going down. (I belong to the latter group.)
Now, How does your Wife feel about this? Is She interested in going with you? (This helps make the choice easier.)
I've seen divorce looming in the horizon for bikers that don't take their wives when the women want to go. Just remember this, they can say one thing, and mean something totally different. (I'm not going to step any further into that subject.) :dance
PS, One more thought. Just about "everybody" that owns a bike wants to customize it. A used bike for starters will leave a TON of money left over for doing this.
BTW, I like the all Black one too. :D
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Mon 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Wow - I didn't realize so many here were into riding. Thanks for all the helpful advise. I spoke with John on the phone (you stalker!) and we discussed a few things. I spoke at length with my brother (a new rider) and went to a dealer and sat on a few bikes as well as spoke to a few people I know who have been riding for a while. So let me clear some stuff up and answer your questions.

I'm buying used. I'm just buying a used 2007 because I want fuel injection. Now that the 2008's are out, many 07 models are being traded in.

I still don't know where I'm confortable sitting, so the footpeg/handlebar layout is a work in progress. I don't have what I would call real riding experience on a bike, but I've ridden around a neighborhood once or twice back in high school.

I'm not looking for asphalt shredding speed. I'm going to be a weekend warrior and ride for hobby. No long hauls, or interstate highways for me (at leat for a good while).

My wife would ride (bitch, heh) with me, but not on her own. That being said, it would be few and far between for her.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Mon 09, 2007 4:14 pm

Oh, and um, I'm keeping it cheap. The Sportster 1200 XL is big enough for me, and they weigh in around $7-8k used.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Mon 09, 2007 5:44 pm

OK Joe, Now that's a more realistic approach. Do you and your wife a big favor. Ride solo for a while until you get used to the handling characteristics of your new bike.
Once you feel confident enough to let her ride with you, repeat this line to her. "You sit there straight up and neutral. Don't try to help me lean into the turns! I'll take care of all that. When I do lean into a turn, do "not" lean the other way. Again, I'll take care of the leaning and driving!"
Also, Have her wear shoes, not flip flops! Make DAMNED sure she watches out for those hot exhaust pipes when she gets on or off. ESPECIALLY if she's wearing shorts. I've seen girls get their legs burnt badly by being careless in that department.
Start her off with short trips around the block. Most of all, beware of cars.
-Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Mon 09, 2007 8:37 pm

Ballen Photo wrote:Most of all, beware of cars.

You're no fun!

Ok - serious now.

Thanks Bruce. That is addressing a lot of my concerns with the physics of having a passenger.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Mon 09, 2007 8:57 pm

You bet Joe! :D Leaning on a bike is part of the steering process. You can control yourself because you know what you're going to do. Having a passenger do something unexpected can be a problem.
When my wife rode with me, she put her arms around my mid section while holding on tight, and I was able to control both of us in that manner. She weighed under 100 LBS. ;-)
-Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby Emcam » Jul Tue 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Hmm I like the black one. My wife used to complain a lot when we scooted around on our 76 HD. She didn't like the seat. but heck, I wazz comfortable. Won't you just have fun! Take all the advice you are getting from the dinguses, there seems to be lots of smart riders writing to ya. Then go buy the HD.
Emcam

Next

Return to OT