Woot! Group Gig!

Talk about anything related to photography...

Woot! Group Gig!

Postby Vance » Jun Tue 05, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey gang,

Finally got a gig shooting a group shot for a local FBO (Fixed Based Operator) - basically, a gas station for private aircraft.

It's not a big money gig, (only about an hours work) but has some bennies of additional print sales, and I believe sent in for publication in a major aviation magazine! :D

Group shoots are no biggie, and for some strange reason, I actually enjoy doing them.

I'll keep y'all posted.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby mattchase » Jun Tue 05, 2007 7:35 pm

Sweet! Can't wait to see the shots.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby marokero » Jun Wed 06, 2007 1:19 am

Congrats Vance, looking forwards to seeing the shots as well!
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Wed 06, 2007 9:42 pm

w00t Vance! Good luck with the shoot. I hope to see you published amigo.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Vance » Jun Thu 07, 2007 7:32 am

Well... it's over and done with. :D

Took a couple of dozen shots (groups get antsy after a few) and compared to my last group shoot, everyone was drunk or getting there,
I had a great time. I'm just surprised they picked the shot they did, I'm not particularly fond of it.

I was even asked to take a head shot, which meant I was able to use the 85mm 1.8 !!!! :D

Didn't make a large amount of $$$ for it, but I've definately made an impression, and feel I'll be seeing more work coming my way.

And yeah, it's going to be published in Pro Pilot, not sure when though, guess I'll have to check with the client to find out.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Thu 07, 2007 9:56 am

Vance - if they picked a shot that you ddn't quite like, then you need to consider refining your editing (cutting) process. You should present them only the images you are happy with so that way it doesn't matter which one they choose.

That's great though. Is the magazine published nationally? I'll pick up a copy if it is. I bet you enjoyed using that 85mm, eh?
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Vance » Jun Thu 07, 2007 10:10 am

:D

Hey Joe,

Big sin on my part, I had taken the laptop with me, and we viewed the images then and there. :( But then, there was a rush to get this done so they could send the images in today.

I'll have to find out when it will be published, but the magazine is Professional Pilot or Pro Pilot. My company is in there all the time. The founder of our company was actually on the cover back in the late seventies.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby mattchase » Jun Thu 07, 2007 3:04 pm

"Are we there yet?" is so passe.

"Can I see / have my photos yet?" is all the rage.

We would take laptops with us too (heck, we used to cart a real computer / 17" monitor in the early days!), and everyone always wanted the photos right then and there. We would let them look and narrow it down to a few choices but try to avoid actually having them pick the exact shot. But we also often had 2 people there, so the assistant could edit real quick while the photographer was still shooting or distracting the people.

A little trick that often helps in such a situation is when a photo comes up that you don't really like and they are watching, make a quick negative (yet innocent) comment about it, something technical if you don't have a repoire with them (basically blaming yourself), something funny if they can take a joke (could be blaming yourself or picking on them). That way before they can fall in love with it you have planted a negative seed in their mind about that shot, and they will be less likely to want it.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Vance » Jun Thu 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Heheheehe

Actually Matt, I did try something like that. :D

Here's a first for me. We had actually finished with the shoot, when one of the front desk girls finally shows up. Unfortunately, the day shift line guys had already hit the bricks and were gone.

Here's the first part, the client came up to me as I was breaking down, and asked " Can we do a reshoot ? "

Soooo... they grabbed a few of the guys from second shift, and there we were again. :)

While I was downloading the images, I tried to get the really bad ones out of sight, and tried quick fixes to a few.

One thing I have learned from shooting groups, and I talked with Joe about this one earlier today. You have to get the shots in quick, and after about a dozen clicks of the shutter, they start really getting antsy. I was able to get about 25 shots total before the natives started to take on the appearance of a lynch mob.

Still, I had fun, and it should lead to more work, and that makes it all worth while.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Jun Thu 07, 2007 6:36 pm

What Joe said! :giddy

JoePhoto wrote:w00t Vance! Good luck with the shoot. I hope to see you published amigo.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Next

Return to General Photography