Yeah, it's nice. (1DMK3)

300D · 350D / Rebel XT · D30 · D60 · 10D · 20D · 20Da · 30D · 40D · 1D · 1D MK II/n · 1DMKIII · 1Ds · 1Ds MK II/III · 5D...and the recently announced 50D and 5DMKII

Postby JB » Feb Thu 22, 2007 1:47 pm

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3-j/e ... ple-j.html

Sample images. Of key things to look at are the eagle, and the last two portraits.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Thu 22, 2007 3:36 pm

JB wrote:Pixel size? About 7.22um. Just in case "others" want to know. :)

Yep - very near the same pixel size as the 16MP 1Ds MkII

I'll add some comments if you want... give me a month or three and I'll give you first hand experience too! :D

Here's the interactive site launch page.
http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eos1dm3/
Last edited by JoePhoto on Feb Thu 22, 2007 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Thu 22, 2007 3:52 pm

Keep in mind while looking at the samples, the sharpness settinsg are very low. For the portraits they are set to 0, the highest other one (kayaker) is set to a whopping 3! So they all need to be boosted a bit before final output - but they are very nicely readied for post processing.

One thing about all the samples, is they were all designed to show off the camera's dynamic range.

While the bride shot is horrible, what I got out of that is some pretty nice highlight control and very smooth gradations (that 14bit to 8bit processing they were talking about.)

The skiier is an excellent example of some pretty nice Dynamic Range! While nicely holding in all the snow highlights, look at hom much shadow detail is visible (without much posturization) on the shoulder.

Regarding the ISO800 eagle shot: Having used DPP, I know how much noise to expect from ISO 800 from a 5D, while the eagle shot was made in difficult conditions - it's pretty evident that this camera is going to scream at hi-iso. I'm not sure if it'll be up with the 5D, but damn close for sure. This is the "poorest" shot available from the samples, but I think it reflects more real world shooting in tough situations. The JPG can be edited to make this a really fine image, imagine what a little further tweaking in RAW would do.

The portrait image really made me smile. That is such a ready to edit photo it's not even funny. Once prepared and sharpened properly, it became a stunning showcase of detail and dynamic range. I have 3 edited variations of this JPG already... hrm.. perhaps our next post processing challenge image?
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Thu 22, 2007 3:54 pm

PS - this kinda stole my Lightroom thunder!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby mattchase » Feb Thu 22, 2007 8:09 pm

Lightroom? What's that? ;)

I had the same thought about the eagle shot when I noticed it was ISO 800. The detail in the eagles dark wings held well and the noise level is of no concern whatsoever. That's pretty sweet.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Previous

Return to Canon DSLR Discussion