Going wireless - router to router connections?

Discussion of Computers and anything related...

Going wireless - router to router connections?

Postby mattchase » Jan Wed 04, 2006 10:43 pm

Hopefully this will be a quicky. We just finished setting up the wireless router in the house, and I was planning on using my wireless router as my access point. But I'm not having any luck doing this. I am preeeeetty sure I did this back in Vegas using a pair of Linksys routers, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly. But I thought there shouldn't be a problem with one wireless router seeing the other, given they are both using wireless G protocol. Am I wrong?
Last edited by mattchase on Jan Thu 05, 2006 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby mattchase » Jan Thu 05, 2006 1:04 pm

Well I've spent the better part of last night and today changing every setting three times and it just won't connect. So I guess I am just going to go get a PCI or USB WirelessG card.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Talvan » Jan Thu 05, 2006 9:27 pm

Sorry to hear that. I wish I knew something to help you. Just out of curioucity did you set up the router you are trying to use as an AP like it is a computer? I did a search with google and turned up several web sites to show how it can be done. Here is are a few of them.

http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index.html?/main/wireless-router-as-access-point.html
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/N101236.asp
http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby mattchase » Jan Fri 06, 2006 8:24 am

I tried most of that with no luck, though I think a combination of things may have caused it to not work. I did change my routers IP to match the other routers range, but then wasn't able to access my router anymore. I assumed that meant it didn't work, but think now that it was a second issue that made it look like it didn't. I think my router was out of range of the other one, as I was using the built in antenna. I am using a high gain antenna on my PCI card and get a weak but usable signal. So if I had put the high gain antenna on the router, I think it would have seen the signal and linked up to the network.

But that's ok, it was only $35 for the PCI card and all is well.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Talvan » Jan Fri 06, 2006 1:17 pm

Well, sorry I couldnt help more. I really didnt know you could do that, but after reading some of those links it looked like it made sense. I wonder if you can use AP router wired to a computer I am thinking of moving my whole setup except for the router and dont want to install wireless PCI cards in both my server and workstation that are already wired to the router. I am using a KVM switch so they would have to move together. If I just bought another router I could by pass buying two wireless PCI cards.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby mattchase » Jan Fri 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Most wireless routers have a few ports on them for hard wiring to computers near them, but I don't think all access points do so if you go for an access point only, be sure to get one with ports. Personally I would get the router as they often cost less and you can always turn off the DHCP / router function of it. So if you have your two computers near each other and place the router between them, you can hard wire them both and won't need the PCI cards.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Jan Sun 08, 2006 9:39 am

Matt,

I'm sorry I did not see this sooner. I'm set up wirelessly in the new house without issue.

Is this new equipement or stuff you brought with you from Vegas? If it is new, take it back and exchange it. My dad had the same problem recently and had to do that.

Also try connecting with any security on the WAP or PC and see if you can see the WAP from the PC.

Configure the WAP from a wired connection the first time. After that you can do it wirelessly.

If you are going over some distance, get replacement antenas for your WAP. I did for mine and it has helped things here.

You've got my e-mail so don't be shy. Together we should be able to get things working.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Jan Sun 08, 2006 11:15 am

Thanks Tony.

The router I have is from Vegas, the router in the house is a new one. One of the first things I planned to do was switch the antenna to my 14dbi high gain directional, but the new router doesn't have a removable antenna! That's the first time I have ever seen a router without a removable antenna, and I thought perhaps I would return it for a different one. But instead I just decided to put the antenna on my computer instead, which so far is working well enough. I have a solid 2 bars signal strength, and it is reporting a 54mbps connection (though I know I'm not getting it). We also plan on reconfiguring the workspace in the house (eventually) and when that happens the router is going to be moved about 20-ish feet closer to me and only have 1 exterior wall to go through, instead of the 2 it is going through now, so that will help some.

As it is now web surfing is fine, and I have downloaded a few program updates that were mutliple megabytes that went pretty quickly, so I am probably getting the full speed of my internet connection. We aren't doing any home networking as of yet, and I'm not sure that my computer would be on that network anyways, so am not too concerened about getting the signal stronger / speed up for that purpose. Even though it is reporting a low signal strength, it has never lost it, so it is at least a reliable signal.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Jan Sun 08, 2006 2:22 pm

I have some of the same issues with 4 5.8Ghz wireless phones in the house. For most stuff I'm fine. There are couple of things that cause me issue though.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Return to Computers