Zeiss to make Nikon F-Mount Lenses?

Discuss all brands of lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

Zeiss to make Nikon F-Mount Lenses?

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Tue 20, 2005 8:29 am

I've read it on several forums now, I'm looking for the apparent leaked pix. We will all know for sure by tomorrow... http://www.zeiss.com/C12567A8003B58B9?Open
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby mattchase » Dec Tue 20, 2005 8:39 am

Yup, I hope they are making lenses for at least Nikon and Canon. A little more competition, especially at the quality level they are at, is a good thing. I am concerned though that if this is what they are going to do, their prices may be even higher than Nikon and Canon pro lens prices.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Talvan » Dec Tue 20, 2005 9:54 am

Prices might not be as high as one would think since this is for 35mm and not medium format, requiring less glass. They have had a hand in the digital P$S market for awhile. Granted I am sure it isnt their best glass formulas, but still. I hope the AF motors are fast, maybe even AF-S/USM motors, now that would be nice.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Wed 21, 2005 9:06 am

looks like they are MF lenses only called ZF. Rumor has it that they may be ZM (M-Mount Leica) lenses fitted with Nikon's F-mount. Though they do make AF lenses, it's not clear wether or not Zeiss is working with Nikon or just making lenses fit the mount. If they are not working with Nikon, it's unlkely that they will be AF.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JB » Dec Wed 21, 2005 2:32 pm

I don't think Zeiss is working with Nikon or Canon. They have been close with Sony though. The Novoflex adapter is the only thing I'm aware of.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Wed 21, 2005 3:04 pm

There is a Nikon news link that said as of Sept 2005 Nikon has licensed technologies to Zeiss. I'll see if I can dig it up. I'm coming up empty on the photos that were apparently leaked on Zeiss's webpage.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JB » Dec Wed 21, 2005 3:09 pm

I could be totally amiss here (and I have been at times LOL), but last year at this same time (December 13, 2004) Nikon announced a cross-licensing agreement with Zeiss, but it had to do with lithography equipment and semiconductor products legal settlement.

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/portfol ... 1213_e.htm

P.S. I checked Zeiss' press releases and they have nothing about Nikon until 9-9-2004, when they mention the following (basically saying the same as the Nikon Press Release):

Tokyo, Japan, Veldhoven, the Nederlands and Oberkochen, Germany, 29.09.2004. Nikon Corporation (Nikon), ASML Holding N.V. (ASML) and Carl Zeiss SMT AG (SMT) have agreed to a comprehensive settlement of legal proceedings and cross-license of patents related to lithography equipment used to manufacture semiconductor devices.

The Memorandum of Understanding is a binding agreement that continues the previously announced stays on all patent disputes pending between Nikon, ASML and SMT in Asia and the United States. The three companies expect to execute definitive settlement and cross-license agreements and dismiss all legal proceedings between the parties in November 2004.
The terms of the Memorandum include payments to Nikon by ASML and SMT. ASML will pay a total of US$ 87 million (approximately EUR 71 million). An initial payment of US$ 60 million (approximately EUR 47 million) will be made in 2004, with the remaining equal installments due in 2005, 2006 and 2007. SMT will pay a total of US$ 58 million (approximately EUR 48 million). An initial payment of US$ 40 million (approximately EUR 32 million) will be made in 2004, with the remaining equal installments due in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

If anything, it sounds like this would apply to scanners and imaging devices. It's possible it would included lenses, but I'm not sure.

Joe, here's the FAQ link to the page you posted (it was disguised as a general link to the main page):

http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/C ... 0300362cd7

So, you said we'll know by tomorrow? If true, this would be nice.Carl Zeiss Nice. :D
Last edited by JB on Dec Wed 21, 2005 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Wed 21, 2005 3:26 pm

Try this - scroll down to see the leaked images from Zeiss's webpage banner.

http://www.camera-info.com/index.php?op ... 2&Itemid=2
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JB » Dec Wed 21, 2005 3:37 pm

Well, it looks interesting. I wonder if Zeiss is going to wait to announce this NEXT Wednesday. At least their press page says "more releases on December 28".

I want a Vario-Sonnar AF-S 70-200 2.8 VR.
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Thu 22, 2005 9:54 am

Not me.... I think the AFS 70-200 2.8 VR is good as it stands. They seem to be taking care of the telephoto department on their own with VR to be added to the 400, 500, & 600 soon. Where I would like to see improvements is in Nikon's prime wide and portrait lens department. The basically everything from 16mm to 85mm primes. They need an update (at least to AFS and newer housing. ED optics wouldn't hurt either.)
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Next

Return to Lenses