Not looking good for New Orleans

Not necessarily photography...

Postby Vance » Sep Mon 05, 2005 6:07 am

I listened to an interview with the Mayor of N.O. last night, and he said that some of the refugee's had tried to leave the city via the only way out, which was north, and when they approached one of the town's or cities enroute, they were stopped by heavily armed police with dogs, and told that due to previous looting, they were not going to allow the victims to travel any further and to go back to where they came from.

Those town leaders need to be found, a case built against them, charges filled, and prosecuted to the fulliest extent of the law.

Granted, there are reports here in Houston, that a few of the refugee's are getting drunk, and causing problems, but we sure as hell aren't going to kick all of them out!

At most, there may be a curfew placed in effect, but that's still being checked for legalities.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Sep Mon 05, 2005 6:34 am

Vance,

That is just tragic. I fully agree we should find all who hampered the rescue and relief efforts and prosecute them to the fullest extent possible under the law... and then let the survivors have a crack at them, both financially and physically (a 2x4 comes in handy at times).

After we take our cat to the vet, we plan on volunteering at our convention center. They need computer professionals (yours truly is one) and people to help with intake for people finder information systems.

Later,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby WARP » Sep Mon 05, 2005 7:40 am

Hey JB. While reading thru some of the stuff on the above link in your post, a couple of things kind of stood out for me in the " Guiding Principles for Proactive Federal Response " highlighted in blue below.
Guiding principles for proactive Federal response include the following:
■ The primary mission is to save lives; protect critical infrastructure, property, and the environment; contain the event; and preserve national security.
Standard procedures regarding requests for assistance may be expedited or, under extreme circumstances, suspended in the immediate aftermath of an event of
catastrophic magnitude.

■ Identified Federal response resources will deploy and begin necessary operations as required to commence life-safety activities.
Notification and full coordination with States will occur, but the coordination process must not delay or impede the rapid deployment and use of critical resources. States are urged to notify and coordinate with local governments regarding a proactive Federal response.
■ State and local governments are encouraged to conduct collaborative planning with the Federal Government as a part of "steady-state" preparedness for catastrophic incidents.

Maybe the political blame game spinners trying to take the heat off of the feds and place it "The blame for delayed and weak response" on the state and local authorities have not read this or even worse, maybe they are fully aware of it and still choose to spin.

Tony, I hear what you are saying but I wonder how much worse things might have gotten if the news media was not there. Whereas, IMHO, I think I see some "somewhat staged and scripted productions" by the "media stars" who came in later, I think the early reporting by some reporters and crew helped save some lives. Surly the plight of those stuck in the superdome and convention center might have lasted longer had it not been for media's attention.

All that being said, I think there will be time to analyze and criticize later. Right now we are still in the midst of an ongoing disaster that needs the attention of our governments and media.

Best Regards: Will
WARP
Contributor

Postby Vance » Sep Mon 05, 2005 8:08 am

Personally, I think the head of FEMA should be given an immediate pink slip.

But we know that the current administration won't do that, in my opinion, because it will in their eyes show incompetence.

I've also noticed that Bush hasn't shown his face in New Orleans until after they've cleared most of the less than favorable opinioned folks that had been there.

I mean it would be terrible for that man to actually see folks that didn't think he was the greatest president in history.

Sorry gang. Didn't mean to get political, but in my eye's this has just gone to reinforce my personal opinion about how little this man actually cares for certain citizens of this great nation of ours.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Sep Mon 05, 2005 8:44 am

Vance,

We saw that in action when he was Governor. It just seems to be magnified now that he is President.

And some news is good. What we've gotten is overload and repetition.

Off to the convention center. Probably offline the rest of the day.

Take care,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby WARP » Sep Mon 05, 2005 10:45 am

High resolution aerial images (& a lot of of other stuff) can be found at http://www.weather.gov/

Of course those of the gulf coast are quite sobering. This is how many are checking on the state of their homes and property which they have not seen in several days and may not see for some time still.
WARP
Contributor

Postby Talvan » Sep Mon 05, 2005 5:47 pm

Ok, a few things here. I cant blame the refugees in Houston for getting drunk, expetially if they arent getting counseling to learn how to deal with their loss of EVERYTHING!! The surrounding town officials that turned the refugees away should be lumped into the same boat as the FEMA officials that turned the Wal-mart trucks full of water away, told the Coast Guard not to disperse the fuel, and severed the Emergency lines. I think Hanover Fist said it best "Hangin's too good for 'im. Burnin's too good for 'im. He should be torn into little bisty pieces and buried alive!"

We were asked at work to sponser some of the displaced students from Keesler AFB, Biloxi MS. My cousin is one that was shipped to Sheppard AFB, Whitchita Falls TX, and then shipped here Thursday. My local camera club has gotten with a spring water wholesale distributor and is buying water at cost and taking it down to New Orleans. We are having a constest at work to see which section can raise the most money to donate to the Red Cross. I agree, it is a shame that it takes something like this to bring our country together, and I am ashamed that it took our government this long to get $hit going.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JB » Sep Mon 05, 2005 5:56 pm

An interesting fact to find out is if the mayor was indeed told by the federal agencies they would be arriving immediately. There should be some sort of record of the mayor's and governor's calls to FEMA or another federal agency. If true, the feds have few excuses.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby WARP » Sep Wed 07, 2005 3:29 pm

Well, when I said above
I think I see some "somewhat staged and scripted productions" by the "media stars" who came in later
little did I know that it would be demostrated so graphically. I saw where Geraldo took two takes of a scene of him walking with an old lady while he carried her dog to an evac plane. Yes, I mean they had the poor old girl walk back so they could get just the right shot.

Just saw a news report that said Oil Company Profits have risen > 50%. They also said that Heating oil prices could increase by 70%.
WARP
Contributor

Postby TonyK » Sep Wed 07, 2005 3:51 pm

And you're surprised by his actions? Remember, he was "evicted" from Iraq by drawing a map, in the sound, on live TV. The man is stupid.

WARP wrote:Well, when I said above
I think I see some "somewhat staged and scripted productions" by the "media stars" who came in later
little did I know that it would be demostrated so graphically. I saw where Geraldo took two takes of a scene of him walking with an old lady while he carried her dog to an evac plane. Yes, I mean they had the poor old girl walk back so they could get just the right shot.

Just saw a news report that said Oil Company Profits have risen > 50%. They also said that Heating oil prices could increase by 70%.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

PreviousNext

Return to OT