Not looking good for New Orleans

Not necessarily photography...

Not looking good for New Orleans

Postby WARP » Aug Sun 28, 2005 9:07 am

Man Katrina (now at cat. 5) looks like she might have her sights set on the Big Easy. That's not good for a city setting below sea level. Maybe it will take enough of the expected swing right to go east of the city.
WARP
Contributor

Postby Vance » Aug Sun 28, 2005 10:13 am

From what our guy's here at work are saying, it's doing a B-Line straight for them. :(

Here's our latest official statement:

Katrina Maintains 175 mph Winds, Speeding Up - Landfall Before Sunrise Monday

Issued: 12:05 PM CDT Sunday, August 28, 2005

Katrina has maintained it's pressure in the past 3 hours, 907 millibars or 26.78 inches. Maximum sustained winds are now up to 175 mph with gusts to 210-215 mph, making Katrina an extremely dangerous Category 5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson scale. Although we have no new reconaissance aircraft reports satellite imagery indicates that the storm has maintained intensity. This pressure of 907 millibars is the lowest ever recorded in the Gulf of Mexico, lower than even Camille in 1969. It should also be noted that this storm is significantly larger in size than was Camille.

At 11:45am CDT, Katrina was centered near 26.3N/88.4W, or about 237 miles south-southeast of downtown New Orleans, LA. Katrina's forward speed has accelerated to between 12 and 14 mph to the northwest. Over the past hour the movement has become a little more westerly but we see this as a temporary movement and the overall movement is still towards the northwest.

At this speed, the center of Katrina will reach the coast south of New Orleans in just about 16 hours, or around 4:00AM CDT tomorrow. We think that Katrina could hit southeast Louisiana as a Category 5 hurricane with sustained wind of 160-180 mph. It should be noted that hurricane force winds now extend 100 miles out from the center. At this time the outer squalls are affecting the New Orleans area.

Not to be overly dramatic, but I think we all need to say a prayer for those folks tonight before we lay our heads down.

On a side note... I remember as a child, we were enroute to Biloxi Ms. for our vacation when Camille hit. The town was basically wiped off the map.
But I did get to see Vicksburg!
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Aug Sun 28, 2005 6:13 pm

Agreed Vance, a prayer for the good folks of New Orleans is definatley in order. ghusting up to 210 will suck the roofs off of house almost like a tornado. BTW, anywody know what wind speeds reach in a tornado?
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby WARP » Aug Sun 28, 2005 6:24 pm

WOW! I hate to think of the effect if it hits Lake Pontchartrain just right. You add up being below sea level and being in between the Gulf, the big lake and the mighty Mississippi River could equal one big disaster. This sucker is going to be packing both wind and water energy. I'm with you on the prayer thing Vance. I do hope most get a chance to evac. but the thought that many could come back to everything that they own being gone makes me sad.

A strong tornado can go from 110-200 mph
WARP
Contributor

Postby Vance » Aug Sun 28, 2005 7:18 pm

That's the worst thing about hurricane's.

They're actually a combination of several different weather systems combined.

First you get the high winds, then the rain starts, then tornadoes start to form all over the place, and then, just before the eye hits, you get this humungus wave of water(which kills most victims) called the storm surge, with is actually a bulb of water formed from the vacuum of the pressurized eye.

And just when you think things are cool, because you're in the eye, the backside hits, with possibly even worse winds and rain than what was in the front.

I was here in Houston during Alicia, which was, if my memory goes right, was a minimal 3. Although very exciting, it's also a serious case of terror.

Now here's a real kicker, and I suffered this myself. The storm really doesn't last as long as you would think, and the weather is so beautiful afterwards that you can actually suffer from depression.

I suppose you could classify it as Post Traumatic Syndrome.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby WARP » Aug Tue 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Oh Man!! This is really bad. :( My heart goes out to the people of the gulf coast and beyond.
WARP
Contributor

Postby JB » Aug Tue 30, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm surprised this amount of people died.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby WARP » Aug Tue 30, 2005 9:51 pm

JB the count will probably at least go into the hundreds. They can't even get into some areas yet where there are bound to be people trapped in submerged houses.
WARP
Contributor

Postby Tommy » Aug Wed 31, 2005 7:01 am

We took a good beating her in Mississippi. I'm 150 miles in from the coast and 97% of people are without power and some without water. They can't get gas, water, food or ice. It's terrible. I would never thought that it would get this bad here.

We were fortunate somehow.. we were the only street for miles with power still so I have a house full of friends/family here.

I took a little video with my video camera and small canon p+s camera. If anyone is interested in seeing it <a href="http://www.tlmartin.com/public/katrina.avi">Video</a>

It will require the divx codec. Be fore warned.. it's pretty crappy quality and wasn't taken at the worst part of the storm.. i was a little preoccupied at that time to be taking video :)

Pray for the people in NO and MS.. They both got it bad.. at least we are drying out now but NO is getting more and more water as I type this message.
Tommy

Postby Talvan » Aug Wed 31, 2005 1:47 pm

1 minute 58 second download. Not to shabby for 51.5 mb. :D Now to get the codec. :hs OK, now to watch the clip. Geez, that was some wind there buddy. I wouldnt havethought it would be that strong 150 miles out. I am glad you are fairing well, and that you were lucky enough to have power to take care of your friends and family. Hope they get things back in order quickly where you are. I feer New Orleans will NEVER be New Orleans again. I pray for those people everyday. I hear they are going to try and move them to the Astro Dome. Anyone in TX now if they have started arriving yet?
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Next

Return to OT