Canon 5D?

300D · 350D / Rebel XT · D30 · D60 · 10D · 20D · 20Da · 30D · 40D · 1D · 1D MK II/n · 1DMKIII · 1Ds · 1Ds MK II/III · 5D...and the recently announced 50D and 5DMKII

Postby JB » Aug Sat 13, 2005 12:16 pm

I'm equally jaded. :)
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Sun 14, 2005 8:00 am

I thought the 1n RS was 10fps?

If it's 21fps... OMG! Just shoot video!

I'm with JB a bit. Pro or near pro cameras should have at least 5fps. Here's why: When grabbing expressions or quick shots at weddings or events, it's important to double or even triple tap. At 8fps, you don't seem to get enough of an expression change between frames to make it useful. 3fps seems to be just a little slow, whereas 5fps I think, is the magic number for that type of work.

I think the 20D is the most popular wedding camera at the moment (at least on the DWF it seems that way.) 5fps and it's price, not to mention it's quality, make it the best bang for the buck right now.

Since the 5D is likely to be very popular by people in this line of work, I think they did a disservice by hampering the fps and buffer. The buffer on the 20D is what, only 6 shots in RAW? That doesn't quite hurt you when your double tapping, but it will most likely bottle up a few times during the day.

Perhaps we're missing where Canon is targeting this camera. I think that they are billing it as a studio camera. Basically a direct competitor to the now discontinued Kodak Pro SLR's. Affordable, FF, high rez, slow bodies. Maybe they are knocking on medium format's door with a more affordable body because the 1-series is complete overkill for studio work, feature & performance wise.

No matter when their intention is, they seem to have differentiated this camera enough from their current offerings to give it it's own place in their lineup should they continue to produce the 20D. I think Canon really hit the nail on the head with the 20D, and their rapid recycle times are going to really catch up with them soon. They can slow down a bit and concentrate on other attributes like better and faster digital wide lenses, flash, etc. Though that's not their style.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby TonyK » Aug Sun 14, 2005 8:21 am

You mean the cameras Kodak is no longer producing. I read somewhere that Kodak discontinued these cameras.

JoePhoto wrote:Perhaps we're missing where Canon is targeting this camera. I think that they are billing it as a studio camera. Basically a direct competitor to the now discontinued Kodak Pro SLR's. Affordable, FF, high rez, slow bodies. Maybe they are knocking on medium format's door with a more affordable body because the 1-series is complete overkill for studio work, feature & performance wise.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Ballen Photo » Aug Sun 14, 2005 9:05 am

JoePhoto wrote:I thought the 1n RS was 10fps?
I believe it was (10 FPS). Joe, You might be right in thinking studio camera.
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Sun 14, 2005 10:14 am

Basically a direct competitor to the now discontinued Kodak Pro SLR's.

Yep - that's what I said. Kodak has discontinued the Pro SLR line. For studio photog's it was a very good camera. For Kodak, it' wasn't. The market niche was too small to have that be their only DSLR. Canon, IMO, is the only company that can afford to create such a camera right now.

I can see ad studios jumping on these if they are priced as speculated. I don't exactly see PJ's standing in line for them though.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby mattchase » Aug Sun 14, 2005 11:28 am

Hmm, it was only (er...only?) 10 fps. What camera am I thinking of? Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Maybe it was the Olympus E-100RS, which does 15fps. But that is an older digital, 1.5mp camera.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JB » Aug Tue 16, 2005 8:16 am

Looks like Chasseur D'images (sp?) has info on the 5D.

You have to wonder if Canon is moving towards two formats versus their usual 3 formats (1.6, 1.3, 1.0).
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Wed 17, 2005 5:31 pm

I heard that they are making an EOS 1D MkIIn with a 1.3x sensor... so I'm not sure about that JB.

I hear they also have a 28-105 f/4 USM IS coming out with the 2 cameras... sounds like a nice lens!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JB » Aug Sun 21, 2005 11:18 pm

JoePhoto wrote:I heard that they are making an EOS 1D MkIIn with a 1.3x sensor... so I'm not sure about that JB.

I hear the 1DMKIIn has the same-size sensor as the 5D. 12.8MP and Full-Frame.

I guess we'll see what happens as we have rumors going every which direction, but Canon is clearly testing the waters for FF DSLRs becoming a mainstay in their DSLR line. I can't imagine why they would make another 1DMKII with a 1.3 sensor. Personally, I think Canon is going to shoot for most of their DSLRs being full-frame. I think they've hit a possible barrier in the megapixel department with their 1.6 and 1.3 imagers. Eventually, Nikon will figure it out as well. Or they probably already have, but won't admit it, which could be a problem for them in the future, because Canon is getting a jump on the affordable FF DSLR technology.

Next will be a 30Dn (or whatever name they call it) with a full-frame sensor in the future I would imagine.

It makes more sense Canon is going FF for the 1DMKIIn when you think about it. Why? Because it's the same sensor, only to be used in a different body. It's also a response to 1DMKII owners who wanted a fast full-frame sports shooter.

If Canon ends up with a full-frame 1DMKIIn, I think this will pretty much seal the deal as to going full-frame for most of their DSLR line. If they don't then well, it signals they still want to hold on to the 1.3 imager line.
JB

Postby mattchase » Aug Mon 22, 2005 7:10 am

Well, the 5d is all it has been rumoured to be, and the 1dMIIn is real too, but it is the same sensor as the original MII. The price on the 5d looks really good, considering a year ago we were paying $7000 for 12mp. I sure wish Mamiya would get that ZD out so we would know how much it is really going to cost. Wow, I might actually be in a bind...which camera to get next?
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

PreviousNext

Return to Canon DSLR Discussion