Canon 5D?

300D · 350D / Rebel XT · D30 · D60 · 10D · 20D · 20Da · 30D · 40D · 1D · 1D MK II/n · 1DMKIII · 1Ds · 1Ds MK II/III · 5D...and the recently announced 50D and 5DMKII

Canon 5D?

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Fri 12, 2005 10:51 am

Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Ballen Photo » Aug Fri 12, 2005 11:12 am

I've been hearing rumors of this camera, and was thinking; It's about TIME they filled the niche of the old A2/A2e film body that had the European name EOS 5. (Some of you may remember my mentioning this a year or two back.) The EOS 5 (A2) fell directly between the Elan series and the "1" series, and I always liked that one. It had Pro features without having the Pro cost, albeit not quite Pro build either. This new addition to the Canon lineup should be an interesting one to watch. :D
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby JB » Aug Fri 12, 2005 2:30 pm

We know that Nikon is eventually going to release a FF DSLR in a few years--maybe less, and I think this is why Canon would announce their own FF DSLR. This also might be a step to keep MF DSLR lurkers.

Should see something on Dingus pretty soon.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Fri 12, 2005 2:59 pm

Honestly, it's not the full 25mm frame that gets me... it's the performance. This cam will likely have very good control over hi ISO which is a Canon staple. But like the 1Ds and 1Ds MkII, the wide angle will suffer because of the full 35mm sensor. Canon needs to release a few new wide angles with better corner control before they release any new bodies. I didn't personally think they had any holes in their lineup of bodies (like Nikon does - until the D200 arrives.)

The D2x and 20D proved that ultra high quality could come from a APS-C sensor.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby mattchase » Aug Fri 12, 2005 5:56 pm

Nice...I hope it is real. The only thing I see in the specs that is a little dissappointing is the 3 FPS speed, but everything else looks good.

I still want my Mamiya ZD!! This would make a nice backup though. :)
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Aug Fri 12, 2005 7:48 pm

I liked my old Canon A1 bodies (not AE1 either, true A1). They were the last SLR bodies I owned.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Fri 12, 2005 10:22 pm

I want a ZD too.... :D
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby JB » Aug Sat 13, 2005 3:14 am

It seems like the camera manufacturers (even MF DLRSs for that matter) are missing the most important aspect of the digital camera: the performance of the information flow and the buffer flush.

What good is an upteenth megapixel camera, if you can't get those images pumping through the processor and on your media card. 3fps is not too bad, and hey I'm not going to stop that from getting any DSLR because I've lived with it...but it would be nice to see at least 5fps for these large MP cameras.

I'm wondering if the reason for this lack of fps has to do with costs, instead of just oversight.

Also, get ready for a 50D to compete with the D200--a very wild rumor so don't even ask. Yes, I am scratching my head too because the D50, is Nikon's entry DSLR. But who knows. These number games are kinda getting silly.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Ballen Photo » Aug Sat 13, 2005 10:42 am

DigitalDingus wrote:It seems like the camera manufacturers (even MF DLRSs for that matter) are missing the most important aspect of the digital camera: the performance of the information flow and the buffer flush.

What good is an upteenth megapixel camera, if you can't get those images pumping through the processor and on your media card. 3fps is not too bad, and hey I'm not going to stop that from getting any DSLR because I've lived with it...but it would be nice to see at least 5fps for these large MP cameras.
We're not becoming a little "Jaded" now, are WE? I remember when 3 fps was Golly Gee Whiz FAST, not too long ago when film was still the ticket. When they upped it to 5fps, we thought that was just the Cat's Meow. Also keep in mind that this is NOT their Top of the Line "PRO" model, even though I'm sure it will be used by Pro's. :D
As far as waiting for the buffer to flush, it beats waiting for your "Film" to be processed. Sorry, just picking on Ya JB. :clown
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby mattchase » Aug Sat 13, 2005 11:23 am

I remember the first time I shot an EOS 1n RS, which I think was 21fps. No turning back now, can't have anything less ever again!! ;)
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Next

Return to Canon DSLR Discussion