A Big MAC never tasted so Sweet.

Discussion of Computers and anything related...

A Big MAC never tasted so Sweet.

Postby SharpShooter10D » May Sun 01, 2005 11:50 am

Well I really did it now!

As of the 18th of last month I am now the happy owner of a MAC G5 2.5.
That is why I haven't been seen in these here parts for a while been playing
with the new toy.

It's going to take me some time to learn how to get around the new MAC
OS but I should do fine. I tired out I-Photo and that was a trip for sure.
I did discover that not all card readers are compatible with the MAC G5 at
least mine isn't. I have a Dazzle Flash card reader and everytime I tried to import my images into I_photo I would get a UNSUPPORTED FORMAT message.

Then I did get I-Photo to import once but the image imported all scrambled.
So I tried importing directly from the Canon10D and Walla no problem.

So my theory is the Dazzle card reader I have is an older reader that uses the USB 1.1 transfer rate and the MAC G5 uses the faster USB 2.0.
So the card reader could not transfer the dat to the MAC fast enough so thats why I-Photo saw the data it did get as UNSUPPORTED. It could only recieve bits and pieces of the image files which to I-Photo would be garbage.

I only have 512MB of memory but I intend before to long to bump it up to at least 2Gigs because I plan on doing digitized video as well. When I can afford it I will Max the system out but unfortunately that wont be anytime soon.

One thing that is nice is that since I just bought the MAC G5 I was able to upgrade to the New OS Tiger for $9.00. That was a sweet deal for sure so instead of putting that $129.00 toward an OS upgrade I can put toward more RAM.

I'm considering doing some recording of my music as well on the MAC but I haven't quite figured out what route I need to take. I'm thinking of maybe installing one of http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family M-AUDIO'S products to achieve this. I have also been looking at the Iguitar from Brian Moores guitars to use to record with because they are set up to connect to the computer via midi interface.

http://www.brianmooreguitars.com/iGuitar/iGuitarModels.asp?guitar=iGuitar1.13

I already have a Fender Stratocaster Silver Anniversary guitar but I would have to buy the Roland GK3 pickup and install it on the guitar in order to connect to the midi interface. I don't want to modify my Strat for any reason there were only 14 of this model made and that would reduce it's value considerabhly.

So the Iguitar looks promising! :bgb

I'm such a gadget junky! Hee Hee.

I haven't been able to get out and shoot the weather here in Newport has been anything but cooperative. Thats ok though....The new toy has been keeping me busy learning how to navigate around the OS.

I can't wait until Tiger arrives so I can install it I want to play with DASH Board....HEE HEE!

Well I am off to learn some more MAC stuffies so I will yack at everyone later.

Take care and have a great day everyone.
SharpShooter10D
Valued Member

Postby marokero » May Sun 01, 2005 6:24 pm

Congrats Randy, and I've heard that using Tiger should speed image processing by a measurable ammount :D I am now contemplating the upgrade to Tiger, but want to make sure such performance increase is really true.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby SharpShooter10D » May Sun 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Hey Alberto,

I don't have Photoshop for the MAC yet so I can't really make a determination if Tiger improves performance or not. When I do I will
definitely post some results I'm still waiting for Tiger to arrive as well.

I see it didn't take Apple long to post the New G5 2.7 machines but I'm not upset. To me it's more important that the number increase on the left side of the decimal rather then on the right. I see the 2.5 isn't even offered now instead they offer the 2.3 and the uped the Super drive from a 8x to 16x.
Graphic card is a little better and Bus speed on the 2.7 is a tad better too.
That to me is even more important then processor speed.

I can't see 2.7 processor being that much faster then 2.5 but I might be wrong.

In any case I love the G5 I have I just can't wait until I can make full use of it.

I know one thing...If this G5 ever bites the dust I can always use it as a anchor...it weighes around 58 pounds.

Have a great day.

Randy
SharpShooter10D
Valued Member

Postby marokero » May Sun 01, 2005 11:58 pm

I got my dual 2Ghz a few years back when Virginia Tech was selling their Power Macs to the public. They used thousands of Power Macs to build a supercomputer, and since then switched to the rack mounted Xserves to increase density of their supercomputer.

Anyways, since you don't yet have Tiger, try to get a feel for how fast Panther runs, and after you upgrade to Tiger can you please tell us if you notice any performance improvements? :D I read that Tiger has incorporated within the OS many of the image processing tasks used in Photoshop and other apps, which I suppose is the reason for the performance increase that I have read on the net. You can read more on the following link, if you haven't already:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/coreimage/

One guy from Dpreview said he noticed a 75% performance boost in working with Nikon raw files. If true I'm going to get Tiger ASAP! :D
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby SharpShooter10D » May Mon 02, 2005 12:19 pm

Hey Alberto,

I will be glad to give feedback when I get Tiger installed.
I have to admit I am a little afraid to upgrade to it after reading some of the problems people have had after doing so.

I plan to get Photoshop CS most likely the CS2 and seems like there have been some issues getting it to work properly if at all.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?50@546.bQfCaUP1Q06.0@.68add355

Some of the posts actually indicated that Photoshop CS slowed down in performance after upgrading to Tiger.

Some posts say not to use the ( UPGRADE OPTION ) when installing Tiger
but rather the ( ARCHIVE/INSTALL ) option. Those that used the latter seem to have the least amount of problems getting PS CS to function properly.

My MAC G5 is a virgin machine...In otherwords I don't have allot of personel files or third party programs loaded yet so I'm thinking I shouldn't have any trouble ( UPGRADING ) to Tiger because it wont have to write over anything.

I don't know, I'm new to the MAC world so I guess I will face crossing the bridge when I arrive at it.

So far I am really impressed with the speed of Panther, booting up is nearly twice as fast as my Windows counter part. I booted up my PC then reached over and turned on my MAC maybe 2 or 3 seconds later and the MAC was already up and running while the Windows machine was still showing the Welcome screen.

I don't think until I upgrade the RAM to at least a GIG that I can give a fair
analisys using PS CS or IMOVIE or IDVD.

512 isn't exactly the optimum amount of RAM to be playing the game with regardless of wether I have dual CPUs or not and a fast Front side bus.

Here is a list of what came with my system.

Processor 065-4803 2.5GHz PowerPC G5.

Memory 065-4933 512 MB DDR400 (PC3200)-2X256

Hard Drive 065-4925 160GB Serial ATA-7200rpm

Optical Drive 065-4928 8x Super Drive (DVD-R/CD-RW)

Graphic Support 065-4892 ATI Rad9600 XT x/128MB DDR

Modem 065-5168 56k V.92 Modem

Keyboard Language 065-4923 Apple Keyboard & Mouse

Mac OS Language 065-4897 Mac OS X

I have a question about RAM?

Since I have 2x256 matched pairs of memory modules can I use any combination of 512, 1Gig matched pair Modules in the open slots or do all the modules have to be the same (All 256 modules?)

I found some 512 modules on Crucials web site for a fairly good price and wanted to step up to at least 3 Gigs of ram. Buying the 512 modules was the least exspensive route to go but I didn't know if I could mix 256 modules with 512?

I dont know what brand the memory modules are it's what ever Apple stuck in there when the G5 shipped.

Crucial has the 512 modules selling for $55.95.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Apple%2B+Power+Mac&mfr=Apple&cat=RAM&model=Power+Mac+G5+%28Dual+2.5GHz+DDR%29&submit=Go

If I recall Apple wants about $300.00 for a 1Gig and $600.00 for 2Gigs.

Unless my math is way off I figured if I buy 6 (512 modules) from Crucial I can get a tad over 3Gigs for $335.94 almost half the price of Apples memory.

If the 2 256 modules I have will work with the 512 modules that will put me at 3584 or a little over 3 1/2 Gigs of memory.

What sort of tests can I do with the present OS Panther that I can also run when I upgrade to Tiger that will show obvious performance enhancement or degridation?

Presently I don't have any Photo software such as Photoshop loaded I haven't purchased it yet. All I have to work with presently is what came with the MAC.

I-Photo updated to 5.0.2

I-Movie HD

IDVD

ITUNES

ICHAT

Garage Band First version

All I have done so far is import images...HIGH JPG RGB from my Canon10D to I-Photo, I havent tried importing RAW yet.
The files transfered flawlessly and didn't take very long to do so either.

I will see if my Video Camera can hook up to the MAC I don't know if it has firewire or not it's an older camera.

Well I will stop here before this turns into a book... :bgb

Have a great day

Randy
SharpShooter10D
Valued Member

Postby marokero » May Mon 02, 2005 3:46 pm

Randy, you can put any matched pair sizes in the empty memory banks. Humm, let's see, a prog that you may have that can be used to benchmark graphics performance... you should have Canon software to convert CRW files when you got the 10D correct? Try installing that, and time how fast it fully opens the raw file. After you put Tiger on your system you can run the test again to see if it got any better. I now hear that the performance increase in Nikon Capture may be due to the increase in memory, and not so much due to Tiger. Perhaps tomorrow I'll stop by an Apple store, install a trial version of Capture and see how it works.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby Watchin » May Mon 02, 2005 4:32 pm

KOOOL Randy. Big munga box should be fun.

On the memory - it's DDR400 (PC3200) so Alberto is right matched pairs
of Dimms and the way the specs read mix and match should work.
Just be sure the memory you get is speced to be
as fast or faster than the 256's you have (look for the CL or cas latentcy
and the cycle speed (? 7ms ?) the DDR bus runs at the slowest speed
seen usually. I had a mix in this system when I first got it up but sprung for
a memory upgrade to all CL2 512mb DDR400 and it made a real difference!!
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby SharpShooter10D » May Mon 02, 2005 11:37 pm

Hey Alberto,

Yes I have the Canon Disk Utilities that came with my 10D I think it has the MAC version on it as well I will load that on tomorrow and give it a try.
Thanks for the information on the RAM too I haven't opened the MAC to get a look at what type (BRAND) the memory is.

I guess I should though,I have been curious as to what it looks like on the inside just kind of chicken to take a peek. Hee Hee!

Hey Greg,

Yes it is definitely a Big Munga Box!!!

The shipping lable says it weighs 58 Lbs and I believe it, it was a chore carrying it up the stairs to my computer desk.

Where did you get your memory from Greg?
and what if I should be so brave to ask did it cost?

I was on both Crucial and Corsairs web site and Crucial was a tad cheeper then Corsair.

I haven't looked on Kingstons web site I don't know much about there memory.

Thanks for the info though I will go back to Crucials site and see if the CL and CS are what they should be. I will most likely do as you have Greg and just install all 512's and be done with it I think that is a wise thing to do.

At least then you know what you have and everything is the same.

Thanks again both of you guys for the help much appreciated.

High Fives as I walk out the Forum door.

Have a great day.

Randy
SharpShooter10D
Valued Member

Postby marokero » May Tue 03, 2005 12:14 am

CL2 Greg? I guess you are more power hungry then I am :D I bought all CL3's from Crucial - I always buy memory from them, and I guess Apple uses unbranded Crucial sticks, or at least used to.

Oh, and Randy... just to save you headaches later on, do not try to hook up an external hard drive (usb or firewire, if you have one) that was formatted as NTFS. I did and that's when I almost lost all my 200GB of data (the even bigger scare thread in the storage & power forum). :( Panther supposedly can read NTFS volumes, but when I tried I messed up. If you're still running your pc's, share that external drive on a network and transfer files that way, then format the drive as fat 32 so it can be read/written by both platforms. Tiger is supposed to be able to read/write to NTFS volumes but I would be cautious.

One more thing, another benchmark you can try is very simple, just opening a window containing a lot of image files, and see how long it takes Panther to render all the thumbnails in the folder. Then try in Tiger. I heard thumbnail display is much faster, as well as added Preview support for many raw file types :D
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby Watchin » May Wed 04, 2005 12:56 pm

Randy - I got mine via NewEgg at $38.67 a stick (total $154.68)
just looked and they are even cheaper now, take a peek at
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820211119

I've even run these at 20% overclocked without a hitch, so even though its a
no-name they appear to be good units, I put 4 in my box.

Alberto - went back and looked at my note ... TYPO should be CL2.5
sorry about that :D

Yep I'm power hungry (just a little) but mainly I'm cheap, and when
I can get memory for that price I get it (LOL).
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Next

Return to Computers