Question for all DD...

Discuss the upcoming monthly photo challenge...

Postby Talvan » Dec Sun 05, 2004 8:39 pm

that is a good idea, except I dont know if all the mods have the web space to host the images on their own. I think I would. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JB » Dec Sun 05, 2004 10:48 pm

Well, photo hosting on DD is a few months off. Tony, I certainly understand, and DD hosting will primarily be for newcomers. I mean, if you have your own prominence on the net already via PBase or whoever, then it wouldn't be prudent to switch completely over to DD--until DD becomes a major prominent force on the net, that is. :D
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Sun 05, 2004 11:18 pm

I think it's a great idea. I'm in.

I like the thoughts about photos remaining anonymous - there is a better way to do it than putting it on one of the admins to host and upload. I have no idea how - that's beyond my profession - but Pixelcritic.com does it with their challenges. They handle the hosting though... so again - I have no idea.

I think a great place to do it would be the Photo Crit forum. Turn it into the Photo Challenge forum. Leave crits for those who ask for it in PhotoX. Just my opinion.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JB » Dec Mon 06, 2004 12:52 am

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Take out the Photo X: Crikey forum, and replace it with a "Challenge" forum.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby TonyK » Dec Mon 06, 2004 5:22 am

Well being the professional programmer here ( I don't know what others do for a living) I have some ideas on anonymous postings.

First, we need to assign each member a unique identifier known only to the system. This could be either a one time assignment or it could be done for each event. Event based would be better as people could not figure out who is who from one event to the next.

Next, the upload area receives the file and processes it, but only displays the event id for the photographer. I would say if there is EXIF information, then that could be displayed for the exposure information.

Now its up to the software and cookies to do the pooling and such. If the cookie is written to the user's HD (or better yet, stored in the event record for the member) then the user cannot vote a 2nd time (1 vote per event).

All members can vote regardless if they submit an image or not. The only requirement I think I would make is they be a member of DD. The software would handle everything else.

We would need to make a front-end for creating events that would do all of this for us. Also need to think up a data schema for the DB table to hold the event information (two related tables at least, maybe more).

Just some quick thoughts @ 6:22AM. :)
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Vance » Dec Mon 06, 2004 7:42 pm

Wondered where this thing had gotten off to.

Thanks JB for creating a new Category for us! :D

Okay, we're getting some great input here, and I'll be making some list's of things to consider, and as a group we can all come to some conclusions on how WE want it to work.

Everyone's input is welcome, so if you think of something don't be afraid to post it!

I'm really glad Jason has initiated the 2005 starting point, as I feel the holidays could put a hamper on folks being able to participate, and I for one would love to see 100% member participation.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Kronos » Dec Mon 06, 2004 7:51 pm

I think if the poll is handled through the forum, then the general posting rules would apply and keep non-members from voting. If EXIF shows up, and you're the only one with a 20D then we'll know which photo is yours. Same for Joe's D2H and Gonz's E1
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby Kronos » Dec Mon 06, 2004 7:53 pm

Also, I've usually found photo contests to be sticky posts at the top of a critique forum.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby marokero » Dec Mon 06, 2004 8:35 pm

I look fowards to the first challenge! :D But how will we keep the submitted photos anonymous?
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby Vance » Dec Mon 06, 2004 8:51 pm

That is the million dollar question. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Challenge 2005