stuck pixels/resolution

Discussion of the E-10 · E-20

Postby Talvan » Nov Fri 26, 2004 3:19 pm

Hi Vance,

Yes you do have to send it in for the latest firmware upgrade if you didnt have it.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Vance » Nov Fri 26, 2004 4:01 pm

Hmmmm...

Then let's hope Jon is lucky, and that the previous owner had done just that. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby jonwang » Nov Fri 26, 2004 4:23 pm

Unless pixelmapping means a graph appears in the middle of the image, then no, I don't. But a few dead pixels really doesn't matter, theyr'e fixed in PS in two seconds. But is there anything else that the firmware update will do for me?
jonwang

Postby Vance » Nov Fri 26, 2004 4:39 pm

Hey Jon,

That graph is your histogram, where you can check you exposure.

What you want is a nice hill in the middle of the graph. (I'm thinking you know this tho)
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Nov Fri 26, 2004 5:53 pm

Jon,
The firmware upgrade didnt have any other effects to my knowledge.

BTW, do you have the manual to the E-10? If you have any questions on functions ask away. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby jonwang » Nov Mon 29, 2004 3:45 am

So, I just got an enlargment a few small size print from the same lab and guess what? Theyr'e great! I think the main problem was that I had shot the previous pics at 160 ISO, and that really is a major difference. I haven't even attempted 320 yet, but it must be a joke.
Is there a difference in shooting in RAW and converting to JPG in PS as opposed to setting it to SHQ? Does the camera compress differently or anything like that?
jonwang

Postby Vance » Nov Mon 29, 2004 4:09 am

Hey Jon,

RAW basically is just straight off the sensor, without any compression or in camera processing, so it will render your best images.

I keep my 10D in RAW because I can fix any minor error's in judgement once in the computer.
White Balance being one reason.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Nov Mon 29, 2004 5:22 am

Jon,

I am sorry to say that the E-10s RAW images in PS SUCK. STick to ISO 80 and leave it there. The fast lens makes up for the difference.(f/2.0-2.4) The only benefit you gain from shooting RAW with this camera is if your White balance was off, from what I have seen of your photography, I dont think that makes much difference in B&W. :D I would stay with 1:2.7 JPEG.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby jonwang » Nov Mon 29, 2004 6:12 am

I'm aware what RAW is, my question was wether there was a difference in compressing the files in-camera or in PS. There probably isn't, especially since the E-10's SHQ setting let's you photograph in pretty large files. Having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot in RAW permanantly if my memory card would allow it. Unless the image is supposed to be printed directly from camera software or card and then stored, it will be compromised EACH and EVERY TIME you save it. So for anyone who play around in PS alot, Tiff is the only solution. I mean, has anyone out there ever reaaally listened to an mp3 file? compression means loss of detail, one way or another. Jon
jonwang

Postby Talvan » Nov Mon 29, 2004 9:06 am

The down and dirty,

Most cameras today, and even back when the E-10 came out, had the highest compression at 1:4 in JPEG, the E-10s highest compression is 1:2.7 in JPEG. For all my PS work I save in PSD format, that is the only way to go. I save the file at a 12 quality JPEG setting in PS after I have done my work in PS on the PSD file for individual jobs, such as save for web(1 file) and save for print(another file). I have read were PS doesnt lose any image data evrery time you save a JPEG until you save at a lower compression ratio. As for the MP3 analogy. I do listen to MP3s alot. I rip all my MP3s twice, once at 320 for best clairity and storage space, and once at 192 for everyday listening. The 320 I use to make another master incase something happens to my original CD. Hope this helps.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Previous

Return to E-10 Club