I'm renting a 14MP Kodak SLR for a wedding on Sat - HELP!

Talk about anything related to photography...

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Fri 04, 2004 5:51 pm

Oops sorry JB - I didn't know the Gen Photo was DSLR also. My bad. You may want to move the S2/D100 thread also.

They included the manual on CD, but thanks for looking up the info Randy.

Ok - I shot the wedding rehersal with the D2h and the SLR/c! My first major complaint is that the dang Canon lenses zoom the other way! This is going to be tricky. I've shot lots of contract work with Canons before, but never Canon and Nikon at the same job... I'm going to go crazy tomorrow. :D

Seriously now - I have used the 14n before very briefly and they are identical in the way they work. My first real impressions is that this camera is slow compared to my Nikons. It is not a good low light AF camera and it needs to be kept at lower ISO's for best results. The camera-ness leaves some to be desired. The AF speed & accuracy in low light are the lows.

The Sigma camera controls are horrible. The camera's layout, at first, is not very intuitive. Kodak's designers seem to have tunnel vision when it comes to using universal symbols or methods to display photos and using menus. That being said, once you get used to the controls, it's not that bad, other than the quirks of the Kodak, Canon, and Sigma systems I'm not used to. For example, the camera became stuck in Auto Bracket mode, How? I have no idea. Also when using a Canon 420EX flash, it was strobing whenever I pressed the shutter half way to AF, and the IR wasn't coming on. I had to turn the flash off then on again to stop that behavior and get my IR focussing back on. The flash is pretty good for the most part when used straight on, but I really missed my SB800 when I started bouncing.

The SLR/c (like the 14n and SLR/n) have a nice 3+ second boot-up time a-la Digital Rebel/10D that drives me crazy! Plus whenever I change ISO, there is a 5-7 second recalibration period. Grrr! :( This is NOT a photojournalists camera like the MkII or my Nikons. So I must use it simply for what it does best - ideal light controlled portraits and groups. I'm going to use it for group and formals tomorrow and double shoot with either the D1x or D100.

Now on to the good stuff. There is something I call the Holy $h!t factor. That's what happens when you see the image quality. It's damn good. You want sharp? You want BIG? It's here. The noise is normal or should I say, expected. It's nothing to cry about, and easily delt with in Adobe Camera RAW. I set color noise reduction to 50 and poof! Plus I don't get the Neat Image painterly look that Kodak Photo Desk creates when reducing noise. I'll leave it at that.

That being said - I have two lenses to use on this camera. The Canon 17-40mm f/4 USM L and the consumerish 28-90 f/4-5.6 USM II. There is a tremendous difference between these two lenses. I'll go out on a limb and say that I'm going to do my best to NOT use the 28-90 tomorrow. In technical and engineering terms, it's poop.

More later.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Fri 04, 2004 7:59 pm

Sample Pic!

Since I desire my bandwidth - I'll post a small sample and a 800x600 100% crop.

Like I said before - the images have great detail. The Auto WB is a little off. That's nothing earthshattering. But I'll also take this time to note that the color on the SLR/c is good, but the LCD does NOT display the color accurately. The LCD looks very "Fuji" whereas the file is less saturated by default.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby WARP » Jun Fri 04, 2004 10:38 pm

Our old buddy Jono Slack is shooting a Kodak 14n. You might drop him a line with questions.
http://www.slack.co.uk/
WARP
Contributor

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Fri 04, 2004 10:56 pm

Oooh - good point! Thanks Will.

Most of my issues are with the Canon/Sigma/Kodak parts.... not the files - they are superb.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Previous

Return to General Photography