back to shooting digital AND film :D

Talk about anything related to photography...

back to shooting digital AND film :D

Postby marokero » May Fri 28, 2004 10:39 pm

I was so happy with the fast turnaround time that I got the folks at Nikon two dozen Krispy Kremme doughnuts, fresh made yesterday morning ;) I picked up all my equipment back and everything works as it should, no under exposures, and if there were any, it was user error, not hardware related :) Wow, I so much missed my digital equipment! I guess I even missed the workflow after a wedding of weeding out duds and burning everything to cd's. What I was finally able to do at this weekend's wedding was a flash burst to capture the couple dancing. I got up to 8 frames well exposed shots before hitting the D100's buffer wall. Now I have a sequence that I can use to make a nice layout for them :D My F100 didn't get any rest though, I still had to shoot three rolls of b&w, two on the F100, one on the F5 I borrowed. Joe, I don't know how you do it, but three cameras dangling from shoulders and neck is not easy :P I left the F5 w/ 80-200 by my camera bag and shot mostly with the D100 w/ 17-35 and F100 w/ 28-70 + orange filter. Well, gotta go now, I have to go to JFK in the morning and then I'm off to another wedding. It's great to shoot digital once again! :D
marokero
Valued Member

Postby WARP » May Sat 29, 2004 7:20 am

Glad to here everything worked out well. With 3 Cams working, it's time for an assistant. Check your e-mail for my resume. LOL
WARP
Contributor

Postby Ballen Photo » May Sat 29, 2004 12:33 pm

Congrats Alberto, Glad to hear you're "Back on Track". :D
.........Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby marokero » May Sat 29, 2004 11:25 pm

Thanks guys for the support :) The D100 really rocked this Saturday! ;) (okay, the DCB helped out too) I nailed almost all 500+ shots I took, somehow it just seems better now. I did change one of the custom settings, to lock exposure at half press of the shutter, previously I had that option turned off. Now I shoot in spot metering exclusively and get excellent results! :)
marokero
Valued Member

Postby JB » May Sun 30, 2004 1:11 am

Great news, Marokero. I think you and Joe are the king of weddings on this forum.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Talvan » May Sun 30, 2004 6:52 am

If I remember right, I think Emcam does them too, Glad everything turned out so good Alberto. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Emcam » May Mon 31, 2004 8:09 am

Gosh Marrokero, sounds like your D100 is working better than new. 3 camera's around your neck! I guess you are shooting pretty fast. I do have two D100's with me....My main camera has a 24-120mm and the spare with a 28-200mm (I don't use that much it's just the extra incase something goes wrong).
I haven't been using B&W much anymore, but I think I may just start including it again.
Post production is a new thing for a lazy guy like me, but I do like the ability to crop and create a stonger image. and since I use the flash for almost every image - saving those slightly under exposed long group shots is great.
Emcam

Postby Kronos » Jun Wed 02, 2004 4:13 pm

I thouoght the focus and exposure and everything locked when you pressed the shutter down half way and stayed that way until you either pressed the shutter and took the shot or released the shutter again. Can you elaborate? I think I'm missing something.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby marokero » Jun Thu 03, 2004 2:31 am

Mark, Custom Setting #15 on the D100 is set default as locking exposure by pressing the AE-L/AF-L buttom. I changed it so that the exposure gets locked by half-pressing the shutter. What I do then is shoot in spot metering mode, when my subject is in position, I half press on a person's face, for example, quickly recompose and depress the shutter button all the way. That way it perfectly exposes the image for that person's facial skin, which in my case is the most important part of the subject. In doing that even when shooting with flash the subject's face should be well exposed. Ever since I started shooting this way I've gotten much better results much than I used to before. Indoors and outdoors! My church and reception shots now have a more natural look to them :D
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Fri 04, 2004 7:24 pm

Great news Alberto! Glad to see you are back up and running again. It broght a tear to my eye hearing that you had three cameras hanging from yourself! Next you'll have that gear belt (if you don't already.) :D

BTW - my 17-35 is acting up and is not focusing reliably. It's being sent in to Nikon soon. It will be hard without it because it use it so darn much. Right now, I'm getting by manually focusing. :O
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Return to General Photography