Joe's Training Videos! Yep - I finally did it!

Talk about anything related to photography...

Joe's Training Videos! Yep - I finally did it!

Postby JoePhoto » Oct Thu 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Ok, well maybe only two so far, but these are my test run videos working with a program called Camtasia Studio 6 which is pretty cool for screen recording and editing the final product. The hosted videos are on SmugMug. So at the moment, you'll have the follow the link below and watch them there. The files are compressed HD, but you have the option to watch smaller sizes or simply clicking the lower right corner to fit it to your screen. Give the videos a quick watch and let me know what you think about any aspect of the production or the methods themselves.

If you have any requests I'm officially taking them now - So step up and post!

i can't seem to embed video here, I don't think HTML is enabled, so you'll have to settle for clicking on the links below.

VIDEO 1: Lighting a Light Bulb in Photoshop
Difficulty: Beginner

VIDEO 2: Layer Masking a Photo Background
Difficulty: Beginner/Intermediate
Special thanks to Matt Chase for the texture image!

More to come...
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Re: Joe's Training Videos! Yep - I finally did it!

Postby mattchase » Oct Fri 30, 2009 9:08 am

Nice work Joe. I had been wondering if you would ever use that photo I sent!

The only real critique I have is with the glass breaking sound at the end. Your voice is fairly quite and low pitch, so my volume was turned up a bit. Then at the end the glass breaking is rather loud and is a sharp, high pitch sound. I don't mind the sound being there, it's just too loud compared to the rest of the audio.

Besides that, it all looked good and made sense to me. Granted I'm pretty familiar with Photoshop, so it will be good to get some other opinions on that part from those not as adept with it. The screen recording software you used looks pretty cool, I like how you can zoom in on a portion to highlight what you are doing.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JoePhoto » Oct Fri 30, 2009 9:18 am

Thanks Matt - I'll make sure that volume level is lower on future videos. I thought I balanced it out well, but I'm listening on headphones. The Camtasia Studio software is pretty good, but it leaves a little to be desired in the audio editing department. I LOVE the zoom/pan and "callout" features you mentioned. That was the major reason I ended up settling on using it.

I also got Premiere Elements 8 for a few personal projects but it's actually much more difficult to use for this type of work.

These are beginner lessons, so I don't expect someone like you to really learn anything, but these are two lessons I happen to teach at my PS class which is also for beginners. That's where the market seems biggest. However I'm working on a few techniques for advanced users. One is the Lucis effect without buying any 3rd party software. If you have anything that may be of interest to you or a technique you already use and want to showcase, let me know and I'll work up a video. My goal is roughly one video a week so I know I'll be looking for ideas at some point.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby mattchase » Oct Fri 30, 2009 11:06 am

Ok, I will keep that in mind.

I was just talking to some one at lunch who asked if I give classes. She isn't the first person to ask, but I'm still not too sure about doing it. I like helping people, but am not very comfortable in a group setting, especially when I'm the one being watched at the front of the group.

On the flip side, I need more income...
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JoePhoto » Oct Fri 30, 2009 12:01 pm

You may want to consider doing some one on one or pairs workshops to start. They are much more relaxed compared to a class. The best advice I can give is after you qualify them, make sure you have little lessons designed to show how stuff works (layers, tools, etc.) and supply the images for them to use. Practice those lessons a few times and speak out loud to yourself. If you can record your voice do that, it helps cure the "ummmm's". At some point have them bring in their own stuff to work on as that gives a sense of completion.

In my group, we'll start doing holiday cards later this month. I use it as an excuse to talk about composite images and more work with layers and specifically managing those layers.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby mattchase » Oct Fri 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Thanks for the tips. I don't like hearing my own voice played back! But I know the importance of sounding clear and not stumbling over things. Also I should have been more specific, I was asked about teaching photography. Not that it really makes any difference, I would feel the same teaching that or Photoshop.

I am giving it some thought, there is an art movement around here that is just starting to get noticed, and part of the reason for that is there are a few artists giving classes (mostly painting). So it would be good for the community and good for my finances.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Return to General Photography