Large Print websites

Talk about anything related to photography...

Large Print websites

Postby Fleet177 » Mar Tue 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Just wondering if any of you can make some recommendations of sites I can order large prints from. I use Kodak Gallery (formerly OFoto) for most of my print jobs and I'm happy with them except they have limited sizes. I need to get some 11 x 14's printed and they only do 16 x 20 and 20 x 30. I've heard about SmugMug, but I was wondering if anyone knows of a site that does a good job and is free? I might join Smug Mug at some point, but I'm not sure I want to pay on a site right now.

Suggestions anyone?

Cindy :D
Fleet177

Postby mattchase » Mar Wed 12, 2008 7:26 am

Check out http://www.ezprints.com/ , that is actually the company that SmugMug uses for printing. You can sign up with them directly for free and they have just about every size option you could want.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JoePhoto » Mar Wed 12, 2008 1:25 pm

I use http://www.whcc.com for my lab prints as they have one of the most flexible labs around (can accept files in both sRGB and Adobe RGB 1998 color space).

Their pricing is competitive on medium and large prints, but their small prints could be a little cheaper. They do photo and press printed products as well as canvas, velvet, and other fine art printing. They offer gallery quality prints and a variety of press products from business and comp cards, to coffee table albums.

If you need canvas prints, simplycanvas.com has the edge on quality (because they tweak every file for color before printing specifically on their system) and cheaper prices to boot.

You need to calibrate your monitor for WHCC and they have a system where you get test prints to make sure your system is calibrated and your color/density matches. They use kodak paper (which I'm not a huge fan of personally as I prefer fuji) but the results are unquestionably professional.

They will redo any of their mistakes at no cost and without question. they even cover items damaged in shipping.

They ship every order UPS ground for FREE. There is a $12 minimum order but that's never been a problem for me personally.

Hope that helps.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby TonyK » Mar Wed 12, 2008 2:32 pm

2nd WHCC. Have done up to 12x18 without any problems and for an extra charged I had them mounted. Worked very well.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Fleet177 » Mar Wed 12, 2008 9:18 pm

Thanks guys!

I had actually joined ezprints a long time ago when I joined OFoto (now Kodak Gallery). I actually hadn't remembered if I had ever joined but when I went out there, my "account" was still there... imagine that :). Never did use them or upload anything,

I also went out to look at WHCC. Looks like a very professional site... a little overwhelming, probably because it's late and I'm tired. Looks like they are a FULL service site and then some. I'll explore a little more and make a decision.

Thanks for your help!

Cindy :D
Fleet177

Postby JoePhoto » Mar Thu 13, 2008 9:38 am

Download the two prcing guides and you will have all of the details you want. http://www.whcc.com/pricing.htm

They are not a consumer printer, they are a pro lab and well worth it.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Re: Large Print websites

Postby TonyK » Mar Sat 22, 2008 5:53 am

Cindy,

WHCC can go from completely self-service to where they only make prints to completely full service where they do everything for you. All I have ever used from them is their Thirfty Service and I use the 3rd party tool to do my uploads. Otherwise you have to upload to FTP, fill out a form and if something is off things get delayed. Their tool is available from their website (reminding me now to go get it for the Mac).

Take care,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JoePhoto » Mar Sat 22, 2008 9:33 am

What Tony is referring to is called ROES. ROES is a java application that facilitates the storefront of the lab. It is the industry standard for pro labs and is used by many print labs, as well as Zookbinders album makers and Simply Canvas canvas printers among others. It takes a few seconds to install and autoupdates when you run it. It's quick and free - Great software!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby TonyK » Mar Sat 22, 2008 12:13 pm

Yes, I went and re-installed it on the Mac after writing that message. The front-end is so much better than the manual method which is error prone, at least for me. Well worth finding and running from the WHCC website.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Mar Sat 22, 2008 7:47 pm

What do you guys think of http://www.myphotopipe.com

They specialize in making large prints from digital.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Next

Return to General Photography