New Lens Time - The "Fitty"

Post & share your photos from whatever camera you have...

New Lens Time - The "Fitty"

Postby JoePhoto » May Thu 21, 2009 9:43 pm

Which fitty should I get - the Nikkor 50/1.4 AFS or Sigma 50/1.4? That was the question that has been bugging me for months since I switched back to Nikon. Then I started looking at used 50/1.4 AF-D's. I never liked the bokeh from that lens... Then on a whim, I picked up a 50/1.8 at a local camera shop.

I used to own the 50/1.8 a few years back and I never used it because I was so into zooms at the time. After running it through it's paces the last few days, I believe I saved myself a few hundred bucks over the newer 1.4's. I don't remember the 50/1.8 being so nice. Stop this puppy all the way down to f/2 and POW! :cool:

D700 & 50mm f/1.8
1/400, f/2, ISO 400
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Re: New Lens Time - The "Fitty"

Postby TonyK » May Sun 24, 2009 7:35 am

Very nice.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Kronos » May Mon 25, 2009 5:23 pm

You're back to Nikon? Was it the FF D700 that did it? ;) I love my f/1.8 fiddy mil (as I call it), it's awesome. I'm thinking of getting the new 35 that came out too.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » May Tue 26, 2009 8:53 am

Yep - I'm back with Nikon.

After a disappointing experience with my 1D Mk3 and the fact that the 5D2 has zero performance upgrades over the original 5D - I tried the 5D2 and D700 side by side and the D700 won, balancing price, stunning IQ with amazing performance better than any other camera available, IMO. Plus I really wanted the 14-24!

I played around with the new 35/DX and it's a promising little lens. Not exactly sharp wide open, but for the price it's a no brainer. It's not exactly sharp wide open, but it's good enough. Plus you can use it on FX without the crop mode if you shoot it wide or close to wide open with juts a little vignette.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Return to Photo X