Some recent photos from around town.

Post & share your photos from whatever camera you have...

Some recent photos from around town.

Postby Kronos » Mar Thu 19, 2009 7:56 pm

Kronos
Valued Member

Re: Some recent photos from around town.

Postby TonyK » Apr Sun 12, 2009 10:51 am

I knew that first shot had to come from a diesel locomotive. LOL

Thanks for sharing.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Apr Mon 13, 2009 6:55 am

The first shot is a nice, though I would have liked to have been able to see out the windows. Hard to do without lighting, or doing a double exposure.

The window/door is interesting, I think the contrast works better here and like that you can see a little of what is outside. It's also interesting that the open sign is right reading and the text on the window is backwards. I would consider cloning out the piece of the sign on wall on the right.

I like the color and contrast pop of the next two.

The partially covered car has a nice 1960/70s look and feel to it, old, faded, color shifted slide film. Not so sure about the overall composition, it feels like it either needs to be a tighter crop or there should a little bit more of the same type of thing (old house, old bike, old person...) to set the scene better.

The last is my least favorite. It just seems too dark and lost too many details and the composition doesn't really do anything for me.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Kronos » Apr Wed 15, 2009 11:40 am

TonyK wrote:I knew that first shot had to come from a diesel locomotive. LOL

Thanks for sharing.

Yup, both shots are of the same engine. I have one of the fuel gauge on the outside too, that thing holds 1700 gallons of diesel fuel.

Matt, I see what you mean about each of the photos. If I were to print that "Carbondale Main Street" photo I think I will clone that poster out, to be honest I didn't even notice it. :) The first train photo I actually wanted the windows blown out. I have another version on my Flickr page where you can see through the windows and, to me anyway, it just looks like a snapshot of the inside of an locomotive engine.

I used Picknic (built in to flickr) to get that cross-processed look in the old Ford Tanus picture, and I'm glad I did, because those red things in the background are late model dodge truck beds for commercial grade trucks, with the cross process they're not demanding so much of your attention away from the car. I may be able to crop the originally differently and have more of the "garage" behind and to camera right of the car to give it more of a correct era feel.

That last shot was definitely giving me trouble with proper exposure. If you use the flash there's a giant reflective stripe across the front of that thing that illuminates like a spot light that completely ruins the photo. I'll have to go back at a different time of day for better natural lighting and use my exposure bracketing to get the shot.

Thanks for the feedback for sure man, I learned a lot from it. I wasn't been on the forums for a while because I wasn't shooting anything for the longest time. I'm really getting back into it again.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » May Thu 21, 2009 9:41 pm

Nice stuff - you're really matured with not only your compositions, but your post processing as well. I like it a lot. I'd have to say I'm gravitating to the door shot the most. I love the back words text.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Return to Photo X