Question for all DD...

Discuss the upcoming monthly photo challenge...

Postby JoePhoto » Dec Thu 09, 2004 11:30 pm

I think Will has a point here. Do we want a straight up contest? Or just a challenge?

I think by keeping it a challenge, more will fell free to take the challenge and go out and shoot whatever the specific topic is for that time. Post images with our names - who cares about being anonymous for a challenge. I think all challenge submissions should be subject to some level of courteous critique. That way everyone can learn from eachother's work.

That's it - I've officially talked myself into Will's suggestion! :D
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Vance » Dec Thu 09, 2004 11:42 pm

I've gone and re-read some of the suggestions, and yeah, I agree it does look like more of a contest, than what we used to do.

How about we keep this more in the line of a challenge, and if interest is shown for a contest later, then we create that seperately ?
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Dec Fri 10, 2004 5:02 am

I think I'm logged in. But I cannot edit or delete my messages at all any more. What gives?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Vance » Dec Fri 10, 2004 5:03 am

Momentary glitch ?

:D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Dec Fri 10, 2004 5:07 am

Nope. I verified. I am logged in. But I get no controls for my messages and I cannot quote anyone any more. :(
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Re:

Postby Watchin » Dec Fri 10, 2004 9:30 am

TonyKInTexas wrote:Nope. I verified. I am logged in. But I get no controls for my messages and I cannot quote anyone any more. :(

Very strange, it's working here (as you can see) and YEP you are logged in??
You must have p!$$ed off the web site god or something ...
You have to pay homage, you know Image
Hail ohh great and powerful JB..
Greg
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Kronos » Dec Fri 10, 2004 9:41 am

If a person feels he can not compete or enter a challenge or contest because he has a 3mp camera, that's his own fault. It's not the amount of megapixels that make an image wonderful, it's the time and thought that the photographer took to get the image that makes the image great. Besides, once you've cropped, resized for web, and followed the rules for posting on this forum, your image is only going to be 800px wide at the most anyway. I've never felt intimidated by a contest, especially one on the web.

I don't think the Digital Dingus Forum members intimidate newcomers at all. If they did I never would've joined. Everyone here had DSLR's when I joined over two years ago with my lowly Coolpix 4300 and I felt welcomed, felt like my opinions were valued. My questions weren't looked at as silly and ignored. I got help, advice, and opinoins that helped me learn a new art. Maybe, if this were DPR, would a Contest and it's members intimidate newcomers, but not here at DD. A contest or a challenge could only benifit newcomers, especially those to DD.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby Watchin » Dec Fri 10, 2004 10:25 am

Mark, I wholeheartedly agree !
The megapixels don't count, composition, intention, execution, and vision
are what count (a little luck doesn't hurt either ).

If someone tries the intimidation nonsense here I think they would
get a flame fest like a California hillside in the dry summer !!
and I'll supply matches. Image

Greg
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Talvan » Dec Fri 10, 2004 1:13 pm

I agree more with Joe and Will. The direction we were head with this wasnt like the old "E-10 Days" that we took part in that helped build the comradery that we have solid foundation with here now.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby SharpShooter10D » Dec Fri 10, 2004 4:13 pm

WOW! Well said Mark.... For what it's worth...... I have been a member of alot of photo forums before finding DD. In every case there were always those who made you feel welcome and those that made you feel an idiot. In the DD forum there is a good mixture of novice, intermediate and pro photographers and they all have something to contribute to us all.

I have never been a person to say.......I KNOW IT ALL! or I am an EXPERT!.

My belief is that a person can become very knowledgable in his craft, but, will never know it all.
There will always be a new way or different way to do something new or a different way to learn something.

Some believe you have to have the very finest equipment there is to take great photos but that's not so.
As has been mentioned......if the one holding the camera doesn't have the skills and is not familure with his equipment to use it properly it doesn't matter what camera or lens you use.

There are how ever basic rules for capturing a great photo but as it has been said..Rules are meant to be broken.

This is a list of my thoughts of what make a great Photographer and a great Photo.

1. Compostion
2. Pesrpective
3. Subject
4. Emphasis
5 Variaety
6. Proper Exposure For the conditions
7. Enhance the image but not to a degree it's nolonger true to life.
8. Always be open to learn something new.
9. Be humble toward others and greatful for their sharing of their skills and knowledge
10. Share willingly with others as they have shared with you.

In the DD forum I have tried to live by these rules and I have experienced all of what I listed in this forum.

If I had to define this forum it would be this......

( A community of truely talented people comming together and working toward a common goal.
Education, Enhancement of Skills, To Motivate and be Supportive of every member of DD )

No one is better then anyone else in DD, some are more proffient and skilled in the craft but their are no Primadonna here.

I consider DD my second home, I know I can come in here and get great advice or simply just to say whats on my mind. I don't personally think you will find a greater bunch of people in any forum anywhere.

I ahve always been treated with the greatest of respect and I hope I jave returned that in equal measure. I'm not retarded but since my accident I am not as savy as I once was but no one in DD has ever made me feel less for it.

I will always be a DD member as long as this forum remains in exsistance and I can afford the Internet, and everyone lets me stay!

Ok! I'm off my soap box now.....Where's the Pop Corn?

Have a great day DD Forum Rocks!

Randy
SharpShooter10D
Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Challenge 2005