Question for all DD...

Discuss the upcoming monthly photo challenge...

Postby TonyK » Dec Tue 07, 2004 5:22 am

JB will need to write an uploader module in PHP that only allows registered users to upload. It then assigns a n identifier to the photo and updates a table in the DB so the user and photo can be matched later. Only the ID is shown to the world (anonymous).

In this scenario, a user could enter multiple times. If we wanted to lock this down to one entry per person, just have the application look in the table to see if an entry exists for this challenge for this user. If so, a message indicating this is displayed. Otherwise the user is allowed to upload the image.

JB, what do you think?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Dec Tue 07, 2004 7:12 am

Well, I actually understand what you're saying, but I don't know how to do it. :D

Can you create some code for us? It would have to be MSSQL compatible. I can create extra tables, and you can show me how to properly do a "query", so this could work.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby TonyK » Dec Tue 07, 2004 8:39 am

I have not done much PHP. I do ASP/ASP.NET. That and I don't have MSSQL at home.

I will look in my PHP quick reference guide and see if I can point youto some areas.

Basically PHP will need to make sure the user is not already entered in the current challenge, assign them a unique ID, update the DB table for the challenge and then allow them to upload the image. Then a second page would need to be created to pull information fro the challenge table to display only the unique id assigned. The image could be a URL reference to a differnet server as long as it is direct linking.

Does this make sense?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Kronos » Dec Tue 07, 2004 11:25 am

Why not just visit a few other photography forums and see how they've dealt with it?
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby TonyK » Dec Tue 07, 2004 1:11 pm

the PHP scripts will be hidden as they are rendered on the server and only display HTML to the browser.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Dec Tue 07, 2004 8:37 pm

Other forums have dealt with it by AVOIDING MSSQL. LOL. Hek, I have a ton of MySQL scripts for us right now, but the problem is, we have a MSSQL server.

But that will change. Hopefully, we will only have to do this mod maybe once or twice (Jan & Feb).

Maybe you guys can just send me your photos, and I will post them? I can do that for a few months.

I can make a web page specifically for the monthly challenge, where photos will be posted.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Vance » Dec Tue 07, 2004 8:59 pm

How's about this for now.

How about, for now we just keep it like the old challenges of E10 fame.

A challenge will be issued, and then a date to post said images, at which time folks can link their images in one post.

This can work until all that techno stuff is fingered out. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Guest » Dec Wed 08, 2004 3:45 am

sounds good to me.

Postby Watchin » Dec Wed 08, 2004 1:28 pm

hmmm.. John I'll leave the system design to you :D
I like it but does it have to be a photo within the month? I'd say a topic a month, no time on
photo...

Anywho - I'm game !!

Greg
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Kronos » Dec Wed 08, 2004 7:12 pm

Wow, that's the first time I've ever seen a "Guest" post. Did JB turn off the registration?
Kronos
Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Challenge 2005