Question for all DD...

Discuss the upcoming monthly photo challenge...

Question for all DD...

Postby Vance » Dec Sun 05, 2004 10:37 am

Okay guys/gals,

I'm not sure how far along JB is with the photo hosting aspect, but I was wondering who might be interested in starting a

" DD Monthly Photo Challenge "

I figured it might bring in some more activity, and an excuse for everyone to get out with their gear once a month.

Maybe start it at the beginning of this next year ?
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Dec Sun 05, 2004 11:46 am

Sounds good man. I started to try something a few months ago, but kind of got to busy. :-/
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Vance » Dec Sun 05, 2004 12:00 pm

Hey John,

I can tell you, it can get to where it takes up a lot of time, some of the old timers here can tell you about E10 Day from a few years ago.

If we get enough interest though, it can be fun. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby mattchase » Dec Sun 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Yup, sounds good to me. I can't think of anything else to say right now, I'm too hungry. ;)
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Dec Sun 05, 2004 1:01 pm

I'm in if 2 conditions are thought about and dealt with.

1) Not camera specific. This should be about our ability to capture what we think the challenge means.

2) Photos can be hosted from any where. Sorry JB, I doubt I can afford to move off of pbase.com at this time. Too many people hit my pbase.com site and I would not want to try and get them moved over to a new service.

Thanks vance.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Vance » Dec Sun 05, 2004 1:10 pm

Hey Tony,

I can't see this being a one camera type deal, as there are just too many different types of camera's used by this board. :D

Also, like the old challenges, I think each challenge will be of such an open call, that folks that might not have all the gadgets, bells and whistles will still feel confident enough to get involved and participate.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Dec Sun 05, 2004 1:13 pm

That was my thinking. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Vance,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Frank B » Dec Sun 05, 2004 1:33 pm

Sounds good to me.
Frank B

<a href=http://www.pbase.com/frank_b>MY Photos</a>
Frank B
DD Patriot

Postby Talvan » Dec Sun 05, 2004 2:27 pm

I was thinking of we come up with a theme, say "Christmas"(wink, wink, nudge, nudge) and post only the picture. No specifics about camera, shutter speed, or anything like that. Post it in sticky in Foto X, or make its own forum for it. Then we vote on it. I am sure there will be some folks that wont be posting images, and they can help offset the " I voted for mine" syndrome. BTW, I am not beyond voting for an image that is better than mine. :D

The first week you can post your photo on the Sticky, second week we can edit the first post and put in the voting poll, let it run for a week, then we can change the post so it isnt a sticky any more and it can fall through the cracks eventually. Can I also make the suggestion about not posting comments on images in the sticky to keep the thread length down. Maybe post them on another thread or something. Just some ideas, anybody else have some?
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Kronos » Dec Sun 05, 2004 7:39 pm

Other websites I've been to have you email them to the admin of the forum, then he puts them up in a thread with a poll. The pictures are then posted without copyrights or names in them so only the admin knows who's is who's. Then the rest of the members vote. To keep people from surfing in and stealing pictures to call their own, they're typically limited to 640x480, or something close so that they could really only be used on the web if they did get stolen.

Also by having them uploaded by the admin, they all get put up at once instead of trickling in day by day for the duration of the poll. This ensures each photo gets the same amount of exposure.

Also it wouldn't have to be the admin that does this every month, it could rotate between moderators as well, to keep the load off of JB.
Kronos
Valued Member

Next

Return to Photo Challenge 2005