Final S3 Specs - Late Oct Release!

S1 · S2, and the recently announced S3

Final S3 Specs - Late Oct Release!

Postby JoePhoto » Sep Wed 22, 2004 7:08 am

One really interesting feature that the S3 has that allot of people have critisized DSLR's for is here:
Live Image Mode for accurate image preview, focusing and framing

It must do a mirror/shutter lockup and take a live feed from the CCD - pretty cool option if you ask me!

See DPR for more info.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JB » Sep Wed 22, 2004 8:20 am

Yeah, and I hear the Fuji S4 will have Movie Mode with 10 special effects! Woo-whooo!

The image preview is in B&W. I dunno, I think it won't be used as much as some may think. I remember when I went from the E-10 to the D100. At first, it was a little weird, but I soon didn't need a live image preview.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby mattchase » Sep Wed 22, 2004 8:24 am

Not to mention how big and heavy the camera will get holding it at eye level, arms stretched out a bit. With a little point and shoot, that is no big deal. But we aren't talking a little point and shoot now (or are we? ;) ).
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby drgonzo » Sep Wed 22, 2004 4:18 pm

Without a flip-out LCD, the utility of this feature is reduced. That said, for tripod work I can see its utility. I think the sensor's second set of pixels are used for this, or is that right? I for one DO miss the live preview on the E-10, particularly for low- and odd-angle shots.

Couple of things:

- I have heard the preview will be 10fps, which is pretty sluggish for anything but studio work.

- The press release is outright false when it says it is the first digital SLR with live preview. Olympus should call them on it.
drgonzo
Participating Member

Postby TonyK » Sep Wed 22, 2004 5:11 pm

Hey, I like the fact it runs on 4 AA batteries and no other battery is required. :)
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Sep Wed 22, 2004 5:19 pm

Well G, this isn't the first time Fuji has fudged on their claims.
JB

Postby JoePhoto » Sep Wed 22, 2004 8:33 pm

Doc - They are the first "digital SLR" with this feature. If you dissect SLR, the E-10/20 didn't have the Reflex part of SL"R" One who pays attention to such technicalities should have picked up on this - it was a shot at Olympus, IMO.

BTW OT - I saw the Oly Zuiko 300mm lens the other day at a local camera shop when I ordered my D2x... OMG - that is the biggest lens box I have ever seen for a 300mm!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby drgonzo » Sep Wed 22, 2004 10:00 pm

Uh, the E-10 is just as "R" as any mirror-type unit. You'd think after this subject has been hashed and re-hashed to death in the early days of the E-series, you'd have remembered it. I see you've forsaken your roots ;)

Fuji would have been correct to say "interchangeable-lens digital SLR," but are dead wrong saying just "digital SLR" because the E-10 is indeed a digital SLR.
drgonzo
Participating Member

Postby TonyK » Sep Thu 23, 2004 2:02 am

I kinda like the S3 myself, based on an earlier preview review in a photo mag out this month (can't remember the name - sorry).

I really do like the fact it runs on 4 AA batteries and they did away with the 2nd battery altogether. :)
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Sep Fri 24, 2004 8:21 pm

SLR topic here: viewtopic.php?t=1366
JB

Next

Return to Fuji