Windows XP SP2

Discuss any software (non-Adobe)...

Re:

Postby Watchin » Jun Sat 05, 2004 9:14 pm

Kronos wrote: Remember Win ME anyone, LOL. :)

HEY - I resemble that remark... what do you think this beast is running...
Why only the most obscure, least used, unloved, and generally ignored
(ergo unhacked) version of Windows that Mickeyrosoft ever produced !!! ME...
$189 for XP ... damned if I'll pay that ... but got it with the laptop semi-free ;{)
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

DONT DO IT!!!!

Postby Ballen Photo » Jun Mon 07, 2004 12:03 pm

I downloaded and installed this on one of my computers, and a friend did the same, and it wouldn't allow me to go on to ANY photographic sites. It would allow me to check my email, and simple stuff like ebay.
I also installed the uninstall program which conveniently was nowhere to be found when I needed it, creating the need to format two computers. Grrr!
I repeat, DONT INSTALL THIS BETA VERSION!! It's a "TURD!"
......Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby Watchin » Jun Mon 07, 2004 12:47 pm

I hate it when I'm right. :cry ... sorry Bruce
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby JB » Jun Mon 07, 2004 1:52 pm

I've had the pre-release SP2 for 3 days now with no problems at all. I've been to DPR, Rob G, Fred M, etc. The problem may be in the settings.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Re:

Postby Ballen Photo » Jun Mon 07, 2004 2:53 pm

DigitalDingus wrote:I've had the pre-release SP2 for 3 days now with no problems at all. I've been to DPR, Rob G, Fred M, etc. The problem may be in the settings.

Jason, Did you download the uninstall software with it? If so, can you find it through the add/remove programs via the control panel as it says it will do? I installed the uninstall program(273 mb), and like I said, it was no where to be found when the time came to uninstall. :psy
......Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby Watchin » Jun Mon 07, 2004 4:23 pm

Bruce,
If you can't uninstall it ... get the latest version (which might be upgraded from what you got
originally) and reinstall. I've had broken systems MAGICALLY work after re-downloading and
re-installing an SP which supposedly didn't change but all of a sudden was 30mb larger...

Can you say "OOOPS we put a botched kit on the net". at this point what's to loose ? (unless you've
already done the reload)

Remember SP are cumulative and overlayable .... at least that's what Bill says.

The settings that JD was refering to are the firewall settings I think, go into help and take a look. Also
RTFM (read the fubar mess) documentation that was sent with the SP, and on the web site they
generally have a gotcha tucked away in there somewhere... ya just gotta find it.

If you can post your settings and give some specifics on what's happening/not happening we might
be able to figure out a fix.

Best of luck,
Greg
Watchin
Valued Member

Re:

Postby Ballen Photo » Jun Mon 07, 2004 4:40 pm

Watchin wrote:Bruce,
If you can't uninstall it ... get the latest version (which might be upgraded from what you got
originally) and reinstall. I've had broken systems MAGICALLY work after re-downloading and
re-installing an SP which supposedly didn't change but all of a sudden was 30mb larger...

Can you say "OOOPS we put a botched kit on the net". at this point what's to loose ? (unless you've
already done the reload)

The settings that JD was refering to are the firewall settings I think, go into help and take a look. Also

Thanks Greg, I dont think I'll go there again for a while at least, since My machine has already been formatted, reloaded, and I'm now posting this with it.
The part that Ticked me off the most was that I had just accumilated a nice little bunch of refference sites saved to my favorites that I hadn't had a chance to really go through yet. You know how THAT goes though. ;-)
The firewall settings being at fault makes sense, and I had thought of that, but just got plain old frusterated when I could no longer visit photographic sites. :frown
Another thing to consider, is that these same security issues seem to be covered by the regular windows updates, although I dont know how well. :bong
......Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby Watchin » Jun Tue 08, 2004 7:15 pm

Bruce... my sympathies... been there (TOOO MANY TIMES) done that !

Mind if I ask.... was it just paranoia or was there something specific in the SP that you wanted to install?
(no is an acceptable answer ;{)

Greg
Watchin
Valued Member

Re:

Postby Ballen Photo » Jun Tue 08, 2004 11:24 pm

Watchin wrote:Bruce... my sympathies... been there (TOOO MANY TIMES) done that !

Mind if I ask.... was it just paranoia or was there something specific in the SP that you wanted to install?
(no is an acceptable answer ;{)

Greg

Greg, Actually I was looking at the added security measures said to be offered by sp2. What I didn't like is a program that wants to sort of just take control of my PC, while not making the promissed uninstall available.
I think I'll let somebody else be the Guinea Pig for this one. ;-)
........Bruce
Ballen Photo

Re:

Postby Watchin » Jun Wed 09, 2004 9:02 am

Ballen Photo wrote:Actually I was looking at the added security measures said to be offered
by sp2. What I didn't like is a program that wants to sort of just take control of my PC.....

I once designed and built a "secure network transport gateway" machine.
During that project an outside "security expert" told us we couldn't do it,
because the only truely secure machine was one that was locked in an
impregnable cabinet and not connected to anything else and would not
let anything in or out of the box, and the software was in total control.

Looks like Mickeyrosoft has hired that expert... I know we canned him from
the project.
I truely believe that I have at least one secure laptop... I never turn it on...

Smart move on letting the others test the SP, IMHO....;{)
Watchin
Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Software