HP Photosmart A716

Discuss printers (such as Epson, HP, etc.)

HP Photosmart A716

Postby Talvan » Jan Thu 04, 2007 7:48 pm

This is one nifty little printer. It is in the portable class, but unlike most in this class it prints up too 5x7s. Unlike most HPs it is a rear feed, the rear feed hold 20 11.5mil sheets. This is the top of the line model in the series, there are also the A616 and A516. The A716 has a 4gb HDD that you can transfer all your images to from your card. You can do in printer editing like cropping, lightening, and adding frames, text, or clip art. This feature is ok, it is slow but it does work, kind of hard to see on that little screen too. When you modify images it does not over write them but creates a copy with the word "edit" in the file name. It has video out to connect to a TV(has a sideshow function too), and comes with an IR remote that allows you to do everything except turn it off and on. It spits out border less 4x6s in less than a minute. I haven't timed a 5x7 yet, probably test that this weekend when I start testing papers. :D there is an optional rechargeable battery that HP claims will last ofr 75 prints, I havent gotten ahold of one of these yet. You can also directley connect your Pictbridge enable camera via USB to this printer. Your onboard printing options are 1up, 2up, 4up, and index, and the printer auto senses what size paper is in it. I have used everything but index and am quite pleased with it. There is also an optional Bluetooth connector. Ink Cartridges are around $20 and contain 5ml of their new tri-color Vivera inks. Prints are almost completely dry and very very water resistant when they come out, HP claimes this and I have to agree, because I tested it. :D MSRP is $250 street is $200, I got mine on a Christmas sale from Office Depot marked down to $150 with a $20 mail in rebate and free carrying case. Well, they were out of the carrying case so I went down to Staples to buy it for $35. Any Questions feel free to ask.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Vance » Jan Fri 05, 2007 11:55 am

I've been putting both my Epson's to work the past couple of weeks. :D

Currently printing about 160 4x6's for my mom's birthday.
(making her a photo album of our trip back in '04)

I think that if the printer you have is doing the job you want, then all is good. :D
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Jan Fri 05, 2007 5:54 pm

If I had space I might consider a printer. The scanner died in the move of 2005 and while the printer survived, it rocks on the folding table and that impacts the prints I get.

John, it sounds like HP has done some work on their printers. My concern would be the use of chipped inks where the cartridge goes out of date with plenty of ink still in the cart. Any idea of the cartridges are chipped or not?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Vance » Jan Sat 06, 2007 9:14 am

Hey Tony,

I saw a chip decoder in Fry's months ago. I almost got one for my 1280, but changed my mind.

After spending about $100.00 on ink yesterday for both of my printers, I may have to rethink not having one.

Actually thinking of a continuous ink system if I get any busier.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby TonyK » Jan Sat 06, 2007 9:53 am

Vance,

It sounds like you are doing a lot more photography than I am. Friday saw me doing the yearly archive/backup. In 2005 I had over 9500 images in the backup. For 2006 there were 2,223 images. These figures are all images and contain duplicates from different editing sessions and effects. Obviously I have to do something about my depression and need to get back in the swing of things.
Last edited by TonyK on Jan Sat 06, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Vance » Jan Sat 06, 2007 1:28 pm

I've been doing a lot of printing lately, but not a lot of shooting. :(

But, with all my prints (that I'm now hanging in my work area)
I'm getting some inquiries at work. :D

Plus the gift I'm making for my mom.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby Talvan » Jan Mon 08, 2007 6:33 pm

TonyK wrote:John, it sounds like HP has done some work on their printers. My concern would be the use of chipped inks where the cartridge goes out of date with plenty of ink still in the cart. Any idea of the cartridges are chipped or not?

It is chipped, but unlike Epson's chipping I think it only allows the printer to see how much ink is left for information because I have run the cartridge out of ink while it was printing. The printer would say that it is on 0% and I could still get 3 or 4 prints out of it. Unlike my Epson CX 6600.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JB » Jan Mon 08, 2007 6:40 pm

TonyK wrote:Obviously I have to do something about my depression and need to get back in the swing of things.

Let me start by giving you a few of these:

:bd :bd

And one of these:

:bf
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby mattchase » Jan Mon 08, 2007 6:43 pm

and some of this never hurt :bong

Especially before or after :bf

And if Vance were around he would be doing this for you :giddy
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer