Epson R800 or R1800

Discuss printers (such as Epson, HP, etc.)

Postby TonyK » Jan Fri 12, 2007 4:10 pm

Reviving this thread. I have a chance at an Epson 4000 (yes, 4000) for $600 with extra supplies. I know the guy selling it and have seen prints from it.

88 lbs is more than I can really lift with my back and then finding somewhere to set it up. Still...

Thoughts?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Jan Fri 12, 2007 5:25 pm

The 4000 is a great printer and $600 is a steal if it is in good shape! We had one at the studio and paid around $2000 for it. It uses Ultrachrome ink (unless they have updated that) and has the extra black cartridge for doing good B&W prints, does a full 16x20 print size, and works with sheet or roll paper.

I say if you want a great inkjet printer and plan on doing photo prints with it, then go for it!
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Jan Fri 12, 2007 5:36 pm

weight and size are factors holding me back. I'm still setup on folding tables in the dining room. Not great for doing printing.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Jan Fri 12, 2007 5:59 pm

Nope, that printer would shake those tables to pieces! You do need a sturdy printing surface, the ground would work well in a pinch. :)

I don't believe the printer weighs 88lbs, at least not without counting all the ink cartridges. I lifted the printer onto a desk myself without a problem, but the ink cartridges weren't installed, so that could make up the difference. But then I don't have any back / leg / arm problems to get in the way of lifting either.

The folding table is the bigger concern. I don't think they would be able to handle the movement of the print head, and while they probably wouldn't break, your print quality can suffer from not being on a sturdy surface.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Jan Fri 12, 2007 6:08 pm

You're not old! :D

The number on the weight came from a review.

Floor is no good because of cats and cat hair.

The dining room was a temporary setup but I think it is now permanent. :( Every time I start talking about getting a desk, my wife starts talking about replacing her desk and for me to wait. I give up, she gives up. <grrr>
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Previous

Return to Printers