Teleconverters

Discuss all brands of lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Sat 05, 2005 2:32 am

What lens are you planning on using with it?
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Talvan » Feb Sat 05, 2005 8:51 am

Well, that is a good question. There is an upcomming airshow, and although the range of my 70-300G is good, the image quality itself sux. So, I am looking for something in the 70ish to 200ish f/2.8 range that isnt going to break the bank. I am very happy with the lens quality of the 18-70DX and plan on using that one some in the studio before I decide on persuing a 20ish to 70ish f/2.8 lens(taking your advice). If the third party 70-300s are considerably better than the Nikon G version I may go that route. At this point I am not really sure what I am going to do, and am just looking at my options and other peoples suggestions.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby JB » Feb Sat 05, 2005 9:16 am

Hey Joe (and maybe Matt),

Correct me if I'm off-track, but teleconverters can be best taken advantage of with a large aperture lens, such as a 2.8 or larger aperture. The larger aperture enables better focusing sharper images due to the TC's inherent stop down effect. So, technically, you may not need an AF-S lens for best quality, like getting a non AF-S 80-200 2.8 for example, but of course you will decrease AF performance.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this in their posts, as I just scanned them briefly.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby mattchase » Feb Sat 05, 2005 10:01 am

John, you might want to look at the Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX. It is one of the few third party lenses in that range and aperture that I know is a very good lens. I think I paid about $700 for mine, a little more than half what the Canon lens would have cost. I also bought the Sigma 1.4x TC, which is a very high quality TC. It was about $170. That is probably the least expensive route to some really good glass and TC. Unfortunately, the Sigma TC doesn't appear to be compatible with most Nikon lenses, only the 300 2.8 and 300 f4 are listed. The Sigma TC for Canon works with almost all the same lenses that the Canon TC works with. That sucks.

Jason, I think the problem is twofold. One is that Nikon does have so many different lens technologies, and it looks like they have a TC for each one that won't work with any of the others. (Yikes! One of them is over $600 for just a TC!!).

The other problem has more to do with the specific lens / teleconverter. The glass element in a quality teleconverter sticks forward, and that element actually goes inside the lens it is mounting to. Some zoom lenses will hit this element if the TC is mounted to them, such as the Canon 35-350 L lens. Even though that was an L lens, and cost more than half the other L lenses, it was not recommended to use with any TCs because at one point in the zoom, the glass element inside the lens could come in contact with the glass inside the TC. And that would be a bad thing.

So I stick with the compatiblity list that came with my TC, because even if I was putting a cheap lens on it, I wouldn't want to damage the TC either.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JB » Feb Sat 05, 2005 10:17 am

Yeah, it's a good idea to make sure the TC matches the characteristics of trhe lens (convex vs. concave lens structures).

You do NOT want to hear a grinding sound when you focus with your new TC and lens. :D
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Talvan » Feb Sat 05, 2005 12:49 pm

Ok, these are the options I was looking at, either a 70-200 f/2.8 with a 1.4x TC or a third party 70-300. From what I have read, most 70-200s work with most TCs. Mind you this isnt official, just what i have read in forums. I am debating the Tokina 80-200 with a Kenko 300 Pro 1.4x. The only thing that concerns me with that setup is the autofocus speed. I like the range of the 70-300G, it is just slow to AF and the glass sucks at any f/stop. Maybe I am to pickey coming from the E-10. I have gotten prints with the 18-70DX, but the pics from the 70-300G looked so crappy on the computer I didnt even bother. I didnt even try to USM them, I swear they looked OoF. Have looked at the Sigma 70-300(Wolf Camera), and it seems a more sturdy construction than the Nikon 70-300G. Blah blah blah blah blah, I am rambeling again. Thnx Matt, I will definatley keep the TC front element and Lens rear element in mind.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Sat 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Correct me if I'm off-track, but teleconverters can be best taken advantage of with a large aperture lens, such as a 2.8 or larger aperture. The larger aperture enables better focusing sharper images due to the TC's inherent stop down effect. So, technically, you may not need an AF-S lens for best quality, like getting a non AF-S 80-200 2.8 for example, but of course you will decrease AF performance.

Not sure if anyone mentioned this in their posts, as I just scanned them briefly.

Most are used with f/4 or faster lenses. Plus like Matt said, Nikon has so many lens technologies still in use they have many different Tcons for them all. The ones I listed were for AFS lenses only. The others are for AIS (manual focus.) The sharper images has nothing to do with the f-stop, it's just that the f/2.8 lenses have much better optics to boot is what generally makes them a better choice to not loose detail when using a Tcon. The f/2.8 means they don't take as much of a AF sensitivity hit because the lens has more to sacrfice than an f/4 for example.

The specific lens you mentioned - AF-D 80-200 f/2.8 does not have a Nikon brand AF Tcon for it. The only Tcon they still make that will work won't allow the lens to AF. You will notice that I did not include the likes of the 70-300 and the 80-400 VR in my list, that's for the same reason.

There are not only 3rd party Tcons, but extention tubes that you may want to look at. Extension tubes give your lens a boost and allow them to focus more shallow (closer) whithout loosing any optical quality because there is no glass. The Kenko ones come to mind for Nikon.

OT - Methinks an updated 80-400 VR is due from Nikon one with AFS at the least giving it Tcon compatablilty while maintaining AF.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Watchin » Feb Sat 05, 2005 5:11 pm

Excellent points on the matching the TC to the lens. That's
what I was eluding to as well ! I don't know about the AFs only
aspect, usually it's the min f Stop that dictates whether the auto focus
will work, not the speed of the focus. Saying the TC will support AFs is GOOD
as that means all the contacts are carried.

As for a lens I'd suggest the 80-200 AF IF ED f2.8 Nikon, new it's $800 after rebate. Has anyone looked at the Tokina 80-200 f2.8 (new version) it's $700.
I picked up my 80-200 used for $600 in E+ shape.
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby Talvan » Feb Sun 06, 2005 9:02 am

The Tokina was one I was looking at along with the Nikon non AFS version. If I got a TC, I would definatley get one that worked with AFS lenses for future upgrades. Another lens I had been looking at is the Tokina 80-400. I have read that Tokina uses some old Nikon lens Engineers. I dont know how true that is.

How many of you have shot Airshows? What range of lenses was your choice for the day?

I plan on taking my 18-70 and a long range lens.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Talvan

Postby JoePhoto » Feb Sun 06, 2005 1:28 pm

John,

I used my trusty Nikkor 300mm f/4 AFS with the TC14eII Tcon. I think it's ok for ground shots, but really give me the reach I want for the planes in the sky. I could see detail on the pilots' helmets.

Here's a link to shots from Dover 2004.
http://www.pbase.com/joeh113/2004_dover_air_show&page=all
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

PreviousNext

Return to Lenses