Your opinion

Discuss all brands of lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

Postby Talvan » Oct Sun 24, 2004 8:52 am

This oneis the only one I found, but it is quit costley.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Postby Kronos » Oct Sun 24, 2004 6:48 pm

How do they work for BULB? Press once to open the shutter and press again to release it? Do you have to hold it down the whole time (this way would seem almost useless). This is pretty much my only hang up with the D100 vs D70 for me since I like the cable release for my N80. The vertical grip issue is not a deal breaker for me.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby TonyK » Oct Sun 24, 2004 6:59 pm

I like Nikon's cable release because it is the old pressure activated ones I remember from the 70's.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Oct Sun 24, 2004 9:40 pm

The only problem I see with the Canon setup is that it uses an infrared transmitter / receiver. This works the same as your TV remote, only on steroids. It isn't dependant on line of site, infrared bounces around pretty good actually, but it can be blocked.

Another option that is just about as expensive is to buy some Pocket Wizards. They make a reciever that is designed to trip the shutter on cameras, a coworker has one for his 1D MII. I'm not sure the total cost, but can't imagine it being any more than the Canon kit, probably not much less. There are a few big advantages to getting the Pocket Wizards. One is that they are mutli-channel, designed to trigger flashes, so you can shoot with studio strobes wirelessly. Second is (as mentioned above) that you can get a reciever for your camera, to trip the shutter. And the really big one, these are real, radio transmitters that will go through things, don't depend on line of site, and are very reliable indoors and especially outdoors.

So if you are really going to spend the money, get the Pocket Wizards. They will do a lot more for you for probably close to the same price, depending on how many recievers you buy.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JoePhoto » Oct Wed 27, 2004 7:26 am

What Matt said - I use pocketwizards and they are excellent.

Mark, I'm not sure about the D70's remote and Bulb - I'll see if I can find out though.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby TonyK » Oct Wed 27, 2004 7:55 pm

IR type unit (D70) like the E10.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot