new Sigma lenses

Discuss all brands of lenses, such as Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, etc.

new Sigma lenses

Postby marokero » Mar Thu 08, 2007 1:54 am

First the monstruous 200-500 f/2.8 EX DG:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/lens/ ... /5746.html

And new ultrazoom update with OS for the 18-200 f/3.5-6.3 DC OS:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/lens/ ... /5747.html

What I don't get is why Sigma always seem to intro some nice optics, but lack some worthwhile features like HSM or OS. And if they have one, it's missing the other. They never make a lens with both HSM and OS... is there some kind of patent/trademark preventing them from doing this?
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Re: new Sigma lenses

Postby Watchin » Jun Sat 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Alberto,

I just got a new Sigma 150-500 f5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM telephoto.
At this point I'd say it's great. It does have the Hypersonic focus (AF-S in Nikon terms)
Digital corrected optics for full frame and DX, the APO glass, and most important the Optical Stabilizer.

While looking for a lens like this I did notice that there was a dirth of this combination of "critical"
features in lenses under the "sell a child" price level. I think the manufacturers are just now getting to
be able to produce these lenses. Nikon and Canon have pushed the envelope so much with including AF-S
and VR technology into the pro-sumer end of the market, the other manufacturers have to start including them to stay competative I believe.

Sigma just announced the replacement for the 50-500 which will also (it looks) replace the 150-500 and
it has all the features. However with a $1K bump to $2.5K it is now close to the pro-only category, the old 50-500 was around $2K without the OS and the 150-500 was around $1.5K.

The problem I had was find a full frame lens with the features which didn't require me becomeing a double amputee.Since the old 150-500 looks to be phased out you can get it at "bargain" pricing, nominally $900 but occasionally as low as $850. So if you are looking at the long lenses this is a good one (150-500) for the price, or if you can live without OS the older 50-500 is good as well, although I haven't seen a price drop on that yet.
As for the price of the monster 200-500 you showed...that's a sell the farm baby :(
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Jun Wed 09, 2010 8:20 am

Sigma's optics have really improved over the last few years. Their new 24-70 2.8 and 70-200 2.8 OS not to mention their prime lenses 30/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.4 are all top notch glass and compete well with the Nikon/Canon equivalents. The only hiccup with Sigma is their out of the box quality control seems to be a bit hit or miss. But if you get a good copy, it's a really good copy.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Watchin » Jun Wed 09, 2010 1:33 pm

Hi Joe,
Yeah I agree with the QA issues. I got a Sigma for my old camera several years ago, had it a week and
returned it for a refund. In only a few uses it got loose and "rattley". This one however has had much better reviews and somewhat the test of time (2 yrs), and the one I got is excellent (thankfully). So I believe they are getting better. I had read all the reviews but still had some doubts on the glass and final image quality. Glad to say I was wrong and the reviews were right. I ran 150 shots with all combinations of length and f-stop, I found 1 shot which I thought was soft, it turned out to be wind
moving the subject. This lense really shines at f8-11 at all lengths, but it produces very good images at
all f-stops. I did a 13x19 of one shot which was cropped 25%, even my wife (picky one in family) was
impressed. :dance

I was really nervous about investing in the lense, it turned out good though. The only issue I've seen
is the lens hood seems to "shade" the corners a bit (it's a old style round cone) I'm looking to see if there
is a petal shade that might fit. But in all honesty, it may not need the shade at all except as a crash damper.

Several people have asked "Why get an f5-6.3 lense, it's too slow?" Well i'd never use a 500mm indoors or at night, and I can't afford a $$$$$ for the f4 or f3 long lense. The d700 wonderful ISO range kinda makes up for the lose of f-stops.
Greg aka Watchin..."just watchin the world go bye, trying to understand the picture."
"Life is a grand adventure! Not a guided tour." oWo
Nikon D-700, Nikon lenses, Alien B flashes and lots of junk...
Watchin
Valued Member

Return to Lenses