You know how when you collect things, people give you stuff?

Discuss 35mm cameras

You know how when you collect things, people give you stuff?

Postby Kronos » Aug Tue 04, 2009 4:22 pm

Well my dad came across a K1000 at an antique store and bought it for me. He said he gave $40 for it and it came with the standard 50mm F/2 SMC Pentax-M lens and a Vivitar 70-210 Macro Zoom lens and Vivitar 1800 flash. Pretty sweet for $40. It's missing the leather on the front side just below the shutter release but I've already found replacement kits. All I had to do to get it working was get a battery for the meter and it's working like a champ. Already had one roll processed and the meter seems to be spot on! I'll scan and post some prints to Flickr later.

Anyone have any Pentax accessories they wanna unload or sell?
Kronos
Valued Member

Re: You know how when you collect things, people give you stuff?

Postby mattchase » Aug Tue 04, 2009 9:19 pm

Yup, I recently had a guy I had never met before come in to my gallery with some one I do know, and ended up getting an old Minolta SLR, a few lenses, a flashbulb flash, an old Sekonic light meter (pre-battery type), and a little mechanical timer shutter release. No idea what I'm going to do with it, probably put them on display somewhere.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Kronos » Aug Thu 06, 2009 2:15 pm

mattchase wrote:Yup, I recently had a guy I had never met before come in to my gallery with some one I do know, and ended up getting an old Minolta SLR, a few lenses, a flashbulb flash, an old Sekonic light meter (pre-battery type), and a little mechanical timer shutter release. No idea what I'm going to do with it, probably put them on display somewhere.

Sweet. I'd shoot at least one roll of film with it.

On a slightly related note, I just realized I left my K1000 in the truck for a couple of hours in the sun and it got pretty hot. Did I just bake the film? Is it ruined now? I've always been careful not to do that because I was afraid I'd ruin the film somehow, so this is the first time I've ever done this and it's not like you really have to worry about that with digital.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby mattchase » Aug Fri 07, 2009 6:34 pm

It might be, or it might not be, kind of hard to say for sure without developing the film. Did you already have shots on it? You could still shoot the roll but keep in mind that the shots might be more artistic in nature.

With digital you just have to worry about melting the solder off the circuit board!
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JB » Aug Sat 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Can't beat all that for $40. Worth that price alone just for sitting in a glass case.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Kronos » Aug Sun 09, 2009 10:57 pm

mattchase wrote:It might be, or it might not be, kind of hard to say for sure without developing the film. Did you already have shots on it? You could still shoot the roll but keep in mind that the shots might be more artistic in nature.

With digital you just have to worry about melting the solder off the circuit board!

Yeah I already had shots on that roll, I just finished it up today and will get it developed soon and find out if I baked it or not. I'm hoping not because I was testing out the 70-210 Vivitar it came with.

JB I have it sitting on the top shelf of my desk with my other cameras, basically on display but I like the ability to use it too.
Kronos
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Tue 11, 2009 9:11 pm

Gotta love the old cameras! Nice one!
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Kronos » Aug Wed 26, 2009 7:03 pm

On the Vivitar 1800 flash there's a jack right next to the hot shoe (on the side). It's doesn't look like a PC-Sync, and I just recently ready that Vivitar has their own proprietary sync cable/jack. I'm trying to find out if the one on the "cheap-to-begin-with" (and FREE to me) 1800 is a sync or an auxiliary power. Anyone here used this flash before and know what I'm talking about?

If it's possible, I'd like to use it as a second flash coming off of my SB-800 or use it connected to the PC-Sync on my Yashica Mat 124.
Kronos
Valued Member

Return to Film Cameras