Canon 5D?

300D · 350D / Rebel XT · D30 · D60 · 10D · 20D · 20Da · 30D · 40D · 1D · 1D MK II/n · 1DMKIII · 1Ds · 1Ds MK II/III · 5D...and the recently announced 50D and 5DMKII

Postby Cimager » Oct Sat 01, 2005 5:34 pm

Sorry for the hurry up post but my 5D came in today. Woo Hooo. With limited time I took it out and shot some pics. I'll post very shortly. They will be up before the night is over. So far first impressions is WOW
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby mattchase » Oct Sat 01, 2005 5:51 pm

Sweet, looking forward to seeing the pics.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby Cimager » Oct Sat 01, 2005 6:00 pm

Matt I'll have a better chance tomorrow at shooting more.. Today was just a get to the store get it shoot a bunch then come home and act like I didn't get nothing new. LOL Any particular type of shots you would like for a comparison. I shot today mostly with the 17-40 and 70-200 lens and shot in a wooded area at ISO 1600. Tomorrow will try the 28-70 and 100 macro on it. Updating adobe now to download the pics from today. I'm rushing I'm rushing LOL
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby Talvan » Oct Sat 01, 2005 6:23 pm

Very cool Warren, cant waite to see what you have got for us. :D
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

5D

Postby Cimager » Oct Sat 01, 2005 8:30 pm

Ok be easy on these pics. I didn't have much time and just kinda ran out to an area and shot. Never opened manual. All the photo's were shot in raw and not one bit of post processing was done except to reduce the size to post. I shot mostly in manual etc. I copied the exif info and pasted under each photo. The photos are posted on the Image Gallery http://www.digitaldingus.com/galleries/ ... &ppuser=91
I find the camera really light and great to hold. The viewfinder is awesome and the lcd well in bright sun light hard to see but otherwise great viewing when you want to check shot.
Was too much like a kid with new toy and rushed.
Shutter lag didn't seem to be a problem nor shutter sound. Controls all easy to use. Shooting in raw you only get 45 pics on a 1 gig card.
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some serious shooting done to show you better pics. I probably should of waited to post but I figured if this is the results without reading manual on all the features and just out of the box shooting then can't wait to see what results after post processing etc.
I don't plan on getting the battery grip. I like the reduced size without it and supposedly you'll get about 800 shots per charge. Just in case though I have spare battery. Easy enough to put fresh one in.
Well I'm tired and have to hit the hay and rest up. Tomorrow will post real pisc. :cheese
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby JB » Oct Sat 01, 2005 8:42 pm

22MB RAW files, eh? LOL. The image of the branch looks crystal clear, even for that resolution.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Cimager » Oct Sat 01, 2005 8:48 pm

I'll be posting more pics but will put on my site so I don't burn up your server. LOL If you do want though I'll post a full res pic on my site for you to check out. This is what I missed about not having my 1Ds anymore. With that big of file I can zoom in wicked on the picture. If I'm touching up or doing some effect to the photos then more pixels are better. LOL
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby JB » Oct Sat 01, 2005 8:55 pm

Actually, go ahead and upload some pics full-res if you want. I changed the file sizes to a max of 4500x4500.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby Cimager » Oct Sun 02, 2005 3:27 pm

:cheese Finally. I got a few pics up. Sorry for delay. Had a lot of unexpected stuff going on this weekend. Trust me if I could I would be out shooting with this thing big time. Here's a link to some of the photo. Nothing fantastic. The one thing I ask is not to go crazy downloading that large file. It's 5mb. But for those that want to see the detail I guess this is the best way. http://carringtonsphotography.com/5d_photos.htm

The biggest drawback to the 5D that I can see right now is you'd better have good lens. I did notice viginetting using the 70-200 lens. Most noticeable in shots of the sky. Just gotta step the lens down I think. The controls are similar to the 10-20D so those upgrading won't be too lost. I must caution though that the camera is not that forgiving. You're dealing with FF and 12.8 so if composition is off, or you're settings it'll show. Shutter lag isn't a big deal. I did get some blured shots in a stream valley but was using slow shutter speed and high ISO and if I was smart would of used a monopod. Dumb me trying to hand hold in this case. (again excitement causes dumb actions sometimes). Battery life seems pretty good but I haven't shot 100's of photo's yet. Book says 800 shots. Lets hope. Camera is really comfortable to handle and unlike the 1D models not a big deal to carry for extended periods of time. Especially with Long Tele. on it. Wedding photographers should love this. I was looking at the photosho CS2 Image size box with a photo in raw opened. WOW at the default of 240 pixels/inch the image size is Width 18.2 inch x height 12.133..... :bf So when I print my 13 x 19's I usually leave a 1/2 inch border around. guess unless I need to crop for some reason I can print the file as is. If you have any questions (as long as they're not too technical since me is shooter not Tech person) I'll try to answer. So far I love the camera. Haven't been happy since I got rid of the 1Ds but this is much better.
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby mattchase » Oct Sun 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info and images Warren.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

PreviousNext

Return to Canon DSLR Discussion