Canon 5D?

300D · 350D / Rebel XT · D30 · D60 · 10D · 20D · 20Da · 30D · 40D · 1D · 1D MK II/n · 1DMKIII · 1Ds · 1Ds MK II/III · 5D...and the recently announced 50D and 5DMKII

Postby JB » Aug Thu 25, 2005 6:38 pm

The 6 AF-Assist points are interesting (above and below the center AF point).
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby JoePhoto » Aug Thu 25, 2005 8:49 pm

I thought soo too JB, though after seeing their placement, I question it a little. When I first read about it, I thought there was an invisible sensor between every visible on to help with rule of thirds comps and things getting backfocused. Still impressive though.

Almost every camera we're seeing now is really breaking ground in some new way.

If I had Canon glass, I'd be standing in line for one of these too! I'm anxious to see what the 5D delivers, Warren. I look forward to reading your opinions on it. BTW - from the sound of you post, you don't have your 1Ds anymore... is this true? How have you been surviving without it!?
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby JB » Aug Thu 25, 2005 9:31 pm

I was thinking since these AF-Assist points are completely around the 2.8 center point, they would assist in lenses which aren't 2.8 glass. Makes sense because there are discussions about having non-2.8 glass, and how the focusing can be slower at times. I think it was 5.6 glass used normal AF and still used the cross-type, but when using a 2.8 lens, your focusing accuracy about tripled.

However maybe Matt or some other Canon users know a little more about this. I'm seem to recall 2.8 or faster lenses use the vertical while all others use the horizontal lines, so having these assist points in a horizontal line, also seems to indicate Canon is catering to those who are not buying 2.8 glass.

I would be curious to see how the 5D's AF matches up with the 20D.
JB

Postby Cimager » Aug Fri 26, 2005 11:03 am

:cry Well Joe unfortunately when I closed my studio the need for the 1Ds was less and of course cash flow was not good. I had also heard that something in the line of the 5D was in the works in the near future. Soooooo I got rid of it with very little loss of purchase price even though it was over a yr old and got a 10D to hold me over. Boy did I miss it. If I wasn't stubborn and pig headed and pushed for more wedding work I'd probably still have my studio but alas
1. I didn't enjoy wedding photography
2. I don't think my wedding photography was good. Not even close to what you do.
3. I also got too big of a place (only thing available at the time).
I figured that it would be best to get back to what I loved doing the most and that's Landscape-Nature photography and photo-restoration (I love photoshop CS2). Being back in the employee environment allows me the luxary again to get the gear I want and need.
If I was smart I would of stayed working out of my house on the side. I seem to make more money doing it this way but at least I gave it a shot and won't have to say the rest of my life I wished I had tried it.
You can be sure once I get my hands on the camera I'll post pics for all and if you have any suggestions of what you'd want shot to do comparisons so that you'll get an unbiased picture just let me know what you would need. Geesh now am I going to be foaming at the mouth for an epson 4800 printer? :hs LOL
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby JB » Aug Fri 26, 2005 11:25 am

I was reading the 5D's metering is on par with the 1D. Damn. I think I'll be eyeing this little baby in the future.

Canon HAS to be making a full-frame 1D version for the future.
JB

Another sample link

Postby Cimager » Aug Fri 26, 2005 11:33 am

another link with sample pics. http://www.digit.no/wip4/detail.epl?id=59456
Cimager
Participating Member

5D video's

Postby Cimager » Aug Fri 26, 2005 11:39 am

Oh and Jap site with video's of 5D functions
Japanese camera magazine site.

http://www.clubcapa.net/capa/movie/eos5d/eos5d_01.html
http://www.clubcapa.net/capa/movie/eos5d/eos5d_02.html
http://www.clubcapa.net/capa/movie/eos5d/eos5d_03.html

1st. finder screen (20D vs. 5D)
2nd. 5D impression
3rd. 1DMk2N impression
Cimager
Participating Member

Postby mattchase » Aug Fri 26, 2005 4:56 pm

Sorry to hear about the business troubles, glad to hear you got a good price on your 1Ds though. Hey, I bought CS2 a month ago and haven't installed it yet! Augh!!

JB, sorry I don't know exactly how the focusing works with Canon cameras. I do know there is a difference between a good 2.8 lens and other not so high end / large aperture lenses, but that's about all I know.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby JB » Aug Fri 26, 2005 5:05 pm

I was talking with John the other day, and it does appear as if Canon made this camera to make the film camera folk who are still sitting on the digital fence, to jump off it.

I'm geting more excited about this camera the more I read about it. For $3300, it's certainly not cheap, but the price reduction of this full-frame imager is amazing. Canon has been doing some midnight oil burning in their engineering and manufacturing processes.
JB

Postby Ballen Photo » Aug Fri 26, 2005 6:07 pm

Cimager wrote::cry Well Joe unfortunately when I closed my studio the need for the 1Ds was less and of course cash flow was not good. I had also heard that something in the line of the 5D was in the works in the near future. Soooooo I got rid of it with very little loss of purchase price even though it was over a yr old and got a 10D to hold me over.
Warren, Sorry to hear about the bad luck. :(
One thing to remember though, Walt Disney actually filed bankrupt 2 times I think, before He finally made it, so keep looking ahead.
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

PreviousNext

Return to Canon DSLR Discussion