something wicked this way comes...

Principles, theories, practices, and your own experiences...

Re: something wicked this way comes...

Postby TonyK » Nov Wed 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Pricing for light and battery would also be nice? :giddy
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby marokero » Nov Thu 05, 2009 11:24 pm

Joe, I'm researching available reflectors and other modifiers that could possibly fit, or be easily modified to fit the 77mm thread in the front of the light. I tried a red color filter on it... wow, what a nice mood light! :bf But I will keep searching for more modifiers. I was thinking that maybe the Strobies line from Interfit might work, but having never handled them, I can't tell for sure. For now umbrellas will have to suffice. Oh, and that red filter too :bd

Tony, if I was going to sell this, it would probably be for around $800. But I have to fine tune the design, shave cost, and improve the cooling in the next iteration.

I have found that the light gets really hot after about 30 minutes of continuous use at 100% power. Not having a proper thermometer that can accurately measure the temperature of the front aluminum disc, I am weary to leave it on for longer periods. The specifications say to operate below 212 F in order to maintain long life - the LEDs are rated to work up to 302 F. At 50%* output the internal heatsink and fan more than take care of the heat, and it remains cool enough until the battery dies. Speaking of which, at full power I got about 4 hours and 17 minutes runtime. A bit less than I was hoping for. Maybe the fan is eating up more energy than I expected.

(*) Something strange I noticed is that when the light is set to 50%, four LEDs light up. I made sure to separate the wiring into two distinct channels of 3 LEDs each, yet an LED is turning on when it really shouldn't. It doesn't happen when I turn on the light after a period of inactivity, but going from 100% to 50% seems to induce this behavior. :hs I guess the power is really split in 0%, ~70% and 100%. I did check the soldering points and wires, and did not see anything that would lead to this. :hs :hs

I also tested the light outside to try to fill-in shadows... unfortunately it's not strong enough to make any difference in direct sun :( However, in light to deep shade the Riegel worked much better. I will have two more weddings coming up Friday and Saturday, and I hope I can get to use it after the sun goes down. One of my co-workers shooting with a daylight WB setting (on a 5D Mk I) seems to get perfect color rendition, though I did not check the histogram to make sure. I just know my D3 seemed to love the light outside at night in AWB. More to come later.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby mattchase » Nov Fri 06, 2009 9:53 am

As you've found a high quality high power LED can be very bright and very hot! I have Fenix P1 that uses a 3v lithium battery and just a single 3w LED yet after about 10 minutes of constant use it begins to get warm, another 10 minutes and it is hot.

Anyway, there is a forum that you might want to visit if you have any questions or problems, as it is dedicated to light apparatus. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby marokero » Nov Sun 08, 2009 10:45 am

Hey Matt, thanks for the link! In the two weddings I had this weekend I switched roles from a photographer to a lighting guy, and helped my two videographer friends light the party. They both loved the light because it was so bright and illuminated a very wide area. And that was at the so called 70% setting... I have to figure out why that is happening. This weekend was very cold out so I didn't get to do many outdoor shots with the light. I did however use it to balance the window light at the bride's house, to effectively fill in some of the shadows. I'm also taking some suggestions from the CPF forum about using a car headlight's reflector to help.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby mattchase » Nov Sun 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Cool, glad they are being helpful.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby marokero » Nov Wed 25, 2009 9:32 pm

After a while it seems something got sorted out inside the light, and now 50% is really 50%, meaning now only 3 LEDs turn on with each secondary switch. I have taken a test shot in my sister's backyard to test the light's output:

http://marokero.com/Riegel/off.jpg
http://marokero.com/Riegel/on.jpg

I have to pick some shots that I have taken using the Riegel during the past few weddings. I will do that shortly - having a cold and with bad weather out, it's not like I have much else to do.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby marokero » Nov Thu 26, 2009 9:47 am

Here are some wedding shots in which I used the Riegel:

http://marokero.com/Riegel/index_4.html

In #46 and #47 the light is bounced off the tall ceiling at the brides house, so the shadow fill is subtle but effective. In #48 I used the light directly to light the parents, otherwise they would have been in deep shadow (it was near sunset time on a cloudy day). In #49 the Riegel is behind the groom, and my videographer friend is lighting the couple from the front. You can clearly see the color difference between his incandescent light and my LED light. That's all for now, happy Thanksgiving to everybody! :dance
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby marokero » Dec Tue 29, 2009 11:32 pm

A few from this past weekend at my sister's:

A reflector is on its way - from a Quantum Trio - so when it gets here I will modify it to see if I can concentrate the light a bit better. I don't need to illuminate the foot of my lightstands...
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby TonyK » Dec Wed 30, 2009 5:21 am

Brrrrrr!!! Just get cold looking at that.

Great photos BTW. Thanks for sharing. :D
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby marokero » Jan Fri 15, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks Tony! I just received the reflector I had ordered before Christmas, and now am waiting for the epoxy to cure - I've already cut it to size and attached a 77-82mm step-up ring so the reflector can be attached to my light. I will post some shots with and without the reflector after this weekend.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

PreviousNext

Return to Lighting