Nikon TC-17E II

Discuss lenses & accessories for your camera...

Nikon TC-17E II

Postby marokero » Mar Fri 17, 2006 4:26 am

Has anyone used this teleconverter? I'm getting a decent return from the IRS and thought I could use the extra reach on my 70-200. It would yield the equivalent of a 510mm f/4.8 or a 680mm f/4.8 in HSC mode :D Nice for bird shots, moon, and hopefully for autocross too :)
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Mar Tue 21, 2006 2:49 pm

I think you will find that it degrades the AF speed and accuracy and image quality (especialy the bokeh,) a lot. I have the TC14eII and have used the TC17eII and they are very similar as far as what happens with the AF and IQ. I use it only on the 300mm f/4 AFS as it's image quality is good enough to take the Tcon quality hit and still give good results IQ-wise. The AF still takes a hit and that frustrates the hell out of my on a fairly regular basis. With the 70-200 the image sharpness degrades especially with fine detail compared to using it w/o the Tcon.

A colleague of mine using a Canon 400DO lens and I were sharing Tcon gripes and it's pretty standard stuff across the board with Tcons.

Alberto, IMO, you may want to try and pick up a used 300/4 AFS lens and use the D2x's HSC to get some extra reach and speed. That has worked very well for me. I'm no longer using the Tcon unless I have to. Plus the 300/4 AFS is much sharper than the 70-200 at every f-stop.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby marokero » Mar Wed 22, 2006 11:10 pm

Thanks Joe for the caution. That is exactly what I wanted to know, since the TC would only work on my 70-200. While I wait for the check I find myself changing my mind... now I'm thinking about a second Pocket Wizard Plus receiver unit so I can place a second remote flash separately from the main one.
Alberto T.
marokero
Valued Member

Postby JoePhoto » Mar Thu 23, 2006 11:29 am

No problem bud... that sounds like a smarter investment.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Return to Nikon Lenses & Accessories