First lens for a D7000?

Discuss lenses & accessories for your camera...

Re: First lens for a D7000?

Postby TonyK » Mar Sun 27, 2011 6:27 am

Matt,

Thank you for the information. As I am not shooting any video and really have no plans to, the differences between CF and SD hold little sway.

Now the over-heating thing, I had not been aware of and will need to investigate. My investment in CF cards include 1 4GB, 3 2GB, 1 1GB and 2 512MB cards. Probably would purchase 3 8GB cards depending on the number of RAW images they could hold. Might have to go with 16GB but then I could only get 2 to start.

Also have to get at least 1 extra battery.

Nothing is easy, including buying a new camera. I remember the turmoil I endured getting my used D30 (it early was a Nikon D100 (new) but really wanted the CMOS sensor). There was even a false start with a Fuji DSLR (24 hrs).

There is nothing wrong with the 20D. It has produced images capable of 16x20 without issue. Guess I'll save the $$$ and wait. :)

Thanks,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby mattchase » Mar Sun 27, 2011 7:36 am

If you aren't planning on shooting video then the overheating issue is a moot point. It won't happen with just shooting stills, it is only an issue for shooting video. The 7D does have some advantages over the 60D when it comes to shooting stills such as higher frame rates (8fps compared to 5fps) and 19 point AF (compared to 9 point). So if those are important to you then the 7D would be the better choice. I don't mind the 5fps, it's fast enough for most things I shoot, but I would have liked the 19 point AF system. The 9 point system in the 60D is similar to what is in the 20D though it's been improved some, but still not nearly as good as the 19 point system.
mattchase
Naked Forum Dancer

Postby TonyK » Mar Sun 27, 2011 12:30 pm

HA! Too late, I've talked myself out if a new camera for now. The Honda CRV is getting long in age. It has nearly 150,000 miles and is 7+ years old (new Oct 2003). Looking at a Toyota Prius if we can get one.

Oh well, there is always next year. Again, the 20D does just fine and I really need to get the latest photos up I took a week ago.

Thanks,
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby TonyK » Oct Sat 27, 2012 7:53 am

Has it been this long since I posted here.

Well to start, the 2011 Prius (new April 2011) has 34,000 and has made a trip to Dallas/Austin and back and then Oklahoma City/Austin and back.

We still have Indigo (the Honda CRV). She does not get driven much but we need something that call hold a heavy load now and again.

The 20D still is with me. No new toys and I rarely shoot with it any more. Most photos are taken with the iPhone. But if I am going for a image I can later manipulate I bring out the 20D and use it.

Still at the same place in Knoxville though we seem to keep changing our name. The Monday after Thanksgiving will mark 7 years. < heave sigh /> Should not complain. It is a job and a paycheck but while the company crows about 29% increase in income we are still without pay raises. The people who made my life HELL here are no longer with the company which seems odd. Just wish I could get rid of the memories and pains they caused.

Good news, must leave you folks with good news since the last update was nearly 18 months ago.

My wife and I celebrated 30 years last April. The cats are as loving and fun as ever. We see Lyle Lovett in November (makes the 3rd time since we moved here). More movies than I can remember have been seen with more coming up.

CostCo opens in 2 weeks. Whole Foods is supposed to be here soon. Trader Joe's is open and we LOVE it. Real Estate taxes are low (compared to Texas).

So what is new with everyone here?
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby JB » Oct Sat 27, 2012 7:18 pm

Sounds like things are settling down. Congrats, Tony. We have a Whole Foods and TJ's here in Portland. Several of them, actually, but I like shopping there. Just bought a bag of groceries yesterday from Whole Foods. Grabbed some unsweetened ketchup. Can't believe how much they wanted for it, but compared to the gross goo that's sold in stores for cheap, this stuff tastes soooo much better.
JB
Masala Chicken Enthusiast

Postby TonyK » Oct Sun 28, 2012 4:25 am

"Settling down" is not how we view it. Given my age, the economy and the inability to get out-of-state employers interested we've learned to accept.

Her vertigo is bad as ever and after spending 2010 going from doctor to doctor to doctor, we've given up medically. The vertigo vanishes after a day away from here and returns several days after our arrival back in Knoxville. It is a combination of things but we've not been able to figure out what ones we can control.

Yes, Portland has all the things we like about a city and wonderful mass transit. We've refined our city choices and while we might still return to Austin we are thinking we want to move somewhere that is not so drought prone.

BTW, my wife loves the Chili Mangoes from TJs. You might try them.
TonyK
TonyK
DD Patriot

Previous

Return to Nikon Lenses & Accessories