It was supposed to be an easy upgrade.

Not necessarily photography...

It was supposed to be an easy upgrade.

Postby TonyK » Mar Sun 14, 2004 7:41 pm

After buying the 10D I figured I needed faster IO. As I already have a firewire card I went down to the camera shop and bought a Delkin firewire CF reader for $40.

It would read my 128MB and 512MB but not my 256MB CF cards. *sigh* I packed it up, went back and returned it.

Next stop was CompUSA. Picked up a USB 2 PCI card and an internal card reader that was USB 2.0. PCI card goes in, no problems. The internal card reader is missing the screws. No problem I have a ton of screws. Next problem is it wants to connect to the MB and in addition to the PCI card.

At this point I realized the card readers work from the MB USB connection and the other USB front ports are from the card. :( *sigh* Pack this up and return to CompUSA. Exchange it for a Belkin desktop USB 2 7-in-1 reader. Connect it to the USB 2 card and it works.

I have no idea why the NewEgg 256MB CF card did not like the firewire reader. I just could not afford to have a reader that would not work with all of my CF cards.

Next upgrade *maybe* PhotoShop CS (educational version via my wife). I may even get another 512MB CF card (or maybe a 1GB CF card).

Later,
TonyK
DD Patriot

Postby Talvan » Mar Sun 14, 2004 8:03 pm

Geez, and I thought I had problems trying to find another SLOT A processor.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

Re:

Postby TonyK » Mar Mon 15, 2004 8:06 am

For all the hype of firewire I only have 1 device that uses it, a MindStor 1710. And I don't use it often. I might if I do portraits or weddings though.

My MB is about 20 months old now. It houses a 1.7Ghz P4 with 1.2GB SDRAM. It is reasonably fast (fast enough for my current needs). I have a 120GB and a 80GB HD in the system so space is not a problem.

And instead of PSCS, I am thinking of C1 Pro. If I can get 3 images, sized, cropped and color corrected, my need for PSCS went down. I can continue using PS 6.01 and the actions I have. :)

Talvan Imaging wrote:Geez, and I thought I had problems trying to find another SLOT A processor.
TonyK
DD Patriot

Return to OT