Help me decide....

Not necessarily photography...

Postby Vance » Jul Wed 11, 2007 8:57 am

Joe,

I've kind of stayed silent, and Bruce has given you a lot of great advice, except I have one nit to pick.

COVER UP!

Only have exposed skin in area's where you'll be comfortable with losing it. Skin grafts are no fun.

Do this especially if you're going to be weekend warriors. The reason I say this is that most people have their heads up their asses on the weekends. As bad as they are during the week, they leave their brains at the house on the weekend.

Number one rule when riding a bike on the streets. People in cars/trucks are out to kill you. I know this sounds harsh, but it's the only way you'll survive.

I live in an area where the weekend warriors love to hang out and ride, and sadly, every weekend, someone gets to ride in the big red and white truck with all the fancy lights and sirens because they lost the arguement with a four wheeler.

I've been riding legally licensed on the streets, off and on, since I was sixteen, . I can't even tell you how many times I've had some jerk try to kill me.

Both of you wear helmets! This is non negotiable. If you want to know why, take a full bore run at a brick wall and see how good your head feels afterwards. If you're not willing to do that, then wear a helmet.

I have a co-worker who is just now getting back to normal from taking a fall at over seventy miles an hour, and he was wearing his brain bucket. Had he not been, I'd take a picture of his gravesite and send it to you. His accident was well over a year ago, and he's been having to go to rehad to this day.

I personally can attest to the helmet rule. When I was sixteen, I had a car pull out in front of me, and even though I was only going about 20-30mph, I flew over thirty feet in the air, and felt my head hit the pavement on both sides, front and back.

Anyway, Uncle Vance is done. Please heed these suggestions. I want you to be able to actually tell me,

" Geez, you were right, and I sure am glad I listened and did what you said to do."

Because, you WILL lay that bike down someday, and it's better to be protected ahead of time then remorseful afterwards.
Vance
DigitalDingus Geezer

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Wed 11, 2007 9:49 am

Thanks Vance! Advise and warnings heeded!

I'm all over that. I'm taking it to the level of buying a street bike helmet (in matte black of course) rather then a cruiser helmet because I want to keep my whole head & face covered.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

~ BBS Photography ~ DeviantArt ~ Model Mayhem ~

"I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it"
JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Location: Wilmington, DE ***I wish I knew what I was doing!***

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Wed 11, 2007 10:30 am

Good to hear Joe. I've been down twice. First time, a car changed lanes hitting me. There were only two lanes, and I was in the left when this idiot decided to knock me over the concrete curb in the center, and into the oncoming traffic lane. I thank my lucky stars that nobody was coming the other way at the time. When the motorcycle cop arrived, that nice person realized that there were no witnesses, and proceeded to lie through his teeth. The cop knew he was telling lies by my skid marks etc, but still couldn't do anything. If looks could kill though, that guy would be long dead from the way that cop looked at him.
The second time was my fault. I was going pretty fast through the twisty's, when my tires washed out on gravel that some idiot with a 4x4 peeled out from the side, leaving gravel across the road right in the worst possible spot in the turn.
Each of these times my head hit either pavement, or rocks. I felt the impact quite well, but my mellon stayed intact thanks to wearing a helmet. Ask the actor Gary Busey. He now agree's that wearing a helmet is a "good" idea!
With the incidents of red light runners, speeders, & idiots in general on the increase, its a good idea to be prepared, even on those quick "I'm just going around the block" moments.
Guaranteed, an accident will happen when you can least afford it, so beware "all" of the time.
-Bruce
You're gonna miss 100% of the shots you dont take. -Wayne Gretzky
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Wed 11, 2007 12:27 pm

Sage advise - thanks Bruce. Glad you and your mellon are still with us today.

PS - my head hurts from looking at helmets - waaay too many choices.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Wed 11, 2007 1:22 pm

Shoei, & Arai make good full face helmets, but do the research because I'm talking more than a few years ago. Also, Make sure it's a good snug fit, because you're going to trust your most valuable possession you own to it. Also, I've heard of broken necks caused by loose helmets.
A friend and I used to cruise a couple old Limey bikes. Mine was a 650 Triumph Bonneville, and his was a 650 BSA Lightning, Well, we were heading South on I-15 when my semi loose fitting half helmet caught the wind just right (actually, just wrong) and flipped upward like a small parachute. The dang thing tried to strangle me with its strap around my throat. Actually pretty funny thinking back on it, but it sure didn't feel funny at the time. :clown
-Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Wed 11, 2007 2:57 pm

LOL - I found a few helmet review sights that really take a lot into consideration especially wind noise and protecting your ears with earplugs - something I never thought about. They mentioned making sure there is a proper snug fit.

I'm looking at the Scorpion EXO 700 & Scorpion EXO 400 which meet or exceed Snell & DOT safety certifications, are pretty affordable, and they look pretty cool in Matte black. They have a new one coming out in August/Sept, the EXO 1000 which is one of the coolest helmets I've ever seen, but it's getting up there is price for some crazy features (like a Reebok-ish pump, etc.) that I probably don't need.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Wed 11, 2007 3:09 pm

Read the fine print as well Joe. Paying the big bucks for something extra that you may, or may not need can lead you down the path of diminishing returns.
Did you know that a helmet is basically a consumable? It's been said that once the helmet has received a hard knock, it's time to toss it and get another. Or at least have that one thoroughly examined. Helmets are meant to break upon impact. Thats how they absorb the shock. This is why I said to read the fine print. Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it.
-Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby JoePhoto » Jul Wed 11, 2007 3:17 pm

Yep - John Talvan and another friend of mine said the exact same thing. I basically want to protect my skull and not go deaf while riding. So I'm trying to keep the mellon protector as affordable as possible without skimping on quality.
Joe H.
NAPP, PPA, WPPI

JoePhoto
The Cap'n

Postby Ballen Photo » Jul Wed 11, 2007 3:37 pm

JoePhoto wrote: So I'm trying to keep the mellon protector as affordable as possible without skimping on quality.

YUP! Those are the key points. Everything else is just "Fluff".
-Bruce
Ballen Photo

Postby Talvan » Jul Wed 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Joe, I wear ear plugs everyday at work. I will try and get some to you soon, a few different varieties. the higher the rating the better, 29 db is standard, 33 db is the best I have seen.
Sincerely,
John Talvan
Life, One Frame At A Time
Talvan

PreviousNext

Return to OT